Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 05:25 PM

Re: US Mid-Term Elections

Tara, as the President of the United States, Trump belongs to a separate branch of government than Congress, "his legislation" doesn't exist. His job is to execute legislation (executive branch) passed by Congress (legislative branch).

It's ugly at times, Galty, but isn't that a good thing? I compare it to birth. It's painful, ugly, messy...but the outcome, like a baby, is hopefully worth it...and it (government) too grows and changes (makes mistakes and learns from them), hopefully for the better. No doubt many still have major concerns about lobbies, special interest groups, legislative, transparency, campaign financing, etc. but those have and will continue to be challenged by the machinations of the system via the Constitution and the courts.

For the last twenty years, the voting in major elections has been extraordinary close. This is actually a healthy situation, forcing the two sides have to work, often painfully so, through major issues, considering every side, if they are to keep their constituencies satisfied. When the government is heavily one-sided, bills are passed through and executed with less consideration for the minority.

When I was listening to the exit polls last night, one of the most vociferous and critical voters was a first generation, legal immigrant, who was earning her college degree and bitter about a few issues that were important to her and of which she was, in her opinion, informed. That she (a minority in race and religion) could come to this country and become a citizen, be able to speak freely and critically of her government, vote, and work toward an advanced education is an example of what makes this form of government outstanding.

I disagreed with virtually every thing the young woman said, but I was thrilled to be able to know her point of view and celebrate the fact that as a new and fellow citizen she could exercise her free speech through a free press, just having voted. Respectfully, that is anything but "a stupid political system."
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Tara, as the President of the United States, Trump belongs to a separate branch of government than Congress, "his legislation" doesn't exist. His job is to execute legislation (executive branch) passed by Congress (legislative branch).

It's ugly at times, Galty, but isn't that a good thing? I compare it to birth. It's painful, ugly, messy...but the outcome, like a baby, is hopefully worth it...and it (government) too grows and changes (makes mistakes and learns from them), hopefully for the better. No doubt many still have major concerns about lobbies, special interest groups, legislative, transparency, campaign financing, etc. but those have and will continue to be challenged by the machinations of the system via the Constitution and the courts.

For the last twenty years, the voting in major elections has been extraordinary close. This is actually a healthy situation, forcing the two sides have to work, often painfully so, through major issues, considering every side, if they are to keep their constituencies satisfied. When the government is heavily one-sided, bills are passed through and executed with less consideration for the minority.

When I was listening to the exit polls last night, one of the most vociferous and critical voters was a first generation, legal immigrant, who was earning her college degree and bitter about a few issues that were important to her and of which she was, in her opinion, informed. That she (a minority in race and religion) could come to this country and become a citizen, be able to speak freely and critically of her government, vote, and work toward an advanced education is an example of what makes this form of government outstanding.

I disagreed with virtually every thing the young woman said, but I was thrilled to be able to know her point of view and celebrate the fact that as a new and fellow citizen she could exercise her free speech through a free press, just having voted. Respectfully, that is anything but "a stupid political system."
Excellent post !!!!!! (I am a Canadian)
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 05:59 PM

I see that Trump is playing the Corbyn card by claiming a big victory despite severe losses. Fake News?

https://www.bbc.com/news
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 06:53 PM

“I would like to have a much softer tone,” says the President.

A quote from one of the Muslim women elected to Senate, ' I am America's hope and the President's nightmare.'

Things are looking up.
Sage
U. S.
Sage is female  Sage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 09:23 PM

I live in the U.S. on the west coast in the state of Oregon.

We also had the first Native American woman elected to congress yesterday. She is not a child. I'd say she's probably at least in her mid 60s.

Trump accuses others of the things he and his lapdogs in both congressional houses are doing themselves. They are corrupt to the core. The attorney general just resigned. Now Trump will have the chance to stop Mueller's investigation in to him.

If you think that this does not affect you if you live in other countries. Think again. He can start a nuclear war any where he wants. If a country does not kiss his backside, they become his enemy. It could be your country next time.

In some of the southern states a lot of people who should have been able to vote where stopped from doing so. Georgia was one such state, and the guy who was just elected governor was the one who was in charge of stopping this abuse of power. He didn't do it of course. Former President Jimmy Carter told the man he should recuse himself from conducting this investigation. The jerk did not recuse himself and was elected. And he lied about the his campaign being hacked. It was not.

There are a lot of things I could say, that for the sake of peace on this site, I will not, but at least now, the resident tyrant in the White House will have one branch of government holding him accountable.

"Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 12:58 AM

It's certainly a confusing election system.
Dennis Hof won for the Republicans in Nevada but he died last month.Could happen in any shithole country,I suppose.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
From an American and a New Yorker here...
I worked yesterday 16 hours straight as a Poll Voting Inspector in my town, so I viewed first hand the number of new faces showing up to cast a vote. I must include more women than I have seen in a while came to voice their choice.

We have made a first move to regain some semblance of balance in our political system according to the results this morning, but still have a long way to go to get back logic, humanity, compassion and plain common sense, not to mention respect in our country.

I agree that the news media has inundated us with more reporting of this election than we ever wish to see again, and apologize that the rest of the world suffered through it.

We in the states can't escape it by turning off the TV. So, you are already one up on us.
Good post.
Sage
U. S.
Sage is female  Sage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 03:37 AM

I still keep seeing in my mind the pictures of those little children being ripped from their parents, after fleeing brutality in countries south of Mexico. Then they were put in cages. This is totally unacceptable.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I see that Trump is playing the Corbyn card by claiming a big victory despite severe losses. Fake News?

https://www.bbc.com/news
Was supposed to be a big Blue tidal wave which turned out just to be a trickle.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top