Join for free
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 05:35 PM

EU reform by the smal countries

With the UK out of the picture, and germany and france internally weakened, the smal countries start to demand adaptions in the EU.

https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/documen...f387-189693517
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 06:10 PM

Re: EU reform by the smal countries

In the beginning, all Mark Rutte and his "Hanseatic League" to do was slow down Macron and Merkel. The Dutchman feared a new German-French directorate. But now he is on a confrontational course with Brussels.

This is shown by a paper published on the website of the Dutch government. Under the simple headline "ESM Reform", the arch-conservative Hanseatic League members of the EU Commission are calling for the fight.

They demand that the powers of the European Union ESM rescue package, which is not included in any EU treaty and is democratically barely controlled, be extended. The ESM will carry out its own debt analysis in the future.

This would deprive the Commission, which had previously been exclusively entrusted with the task alone by the EU Treaty. At the same time Rutte & Co. want to tighten the conditionality for auxiliary loans and further delay the banking union.

For german Finance Minister Scholz this is a problem. Because even if he wanted, he can hardly bring any more reforms with his French counterpart Le Maire. The Hanseatic people are against it.

Ultimately, they not only want to disempower the EU Commission, but also to enforce the no-bail-out clause enshrined in the EU Treaty - ie to prevent a new edition of the euro rescue program in Greece.

Their advance is thus in its final consequence against the new wobbly candidate Italy. Whether the self-proclaimed Stability Guard suspect that they put the ax to the euro?
Because if Italy fails, then France fails too. And then there is no stopping. At the height of the euro crisis of 2010-12, this was understood - and Italy was taken out of the firing line.
Today, on the other hand, the Hanseatic League, but also the Germans, openly bet on "the markets" that are supposed to "punish" Italy. Rome should no longer be able to hope for help from the ESM, not even as a precautionary measure.

In contrast, Macron proposed reforms that would further develop the euro into a "complete" monetary union - with its own budget, its own finance minister and its own parliament. This would have protected the euro from "external shocks" and market turmoil. Moreover, it would have made decisions more democratic. All that the Hanseatic League has prevented - together with Chancellor Merkel, who has braked Macron herefore.
Now they are also trying to turn back clocks in the Eurozone - to the time before 2009 and the euro crisis. Whether they assert themselves ultimately depends solely on Merkel - or her successor ...
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 08:13 AM

I 've said it before and I'll say it again.

Without the UK Europe will eat itself.

France will be the main aggressor and agitator

You are going to miss the UK and it's pragmatic and stabilising influence.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
I 've said it before and I'll say it again.

Without the UK Europe will eat itself.

France will be the main aggressor and agitator

You are going to miss the UK and it's pragmatic and stabilising influence.
Completely agree they are on a course of destroying them selves, I think even with us it would have happened just taken longer.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 10:45 AM

I had not heard of this before but It seems rather scary that eight Northern European countries such as the Netherlands, Ireland and Baltic states ever felt the need to have to set up such an organisation (started by a British Commissioner, I understand) to prevent the EU Commission (Germany and France) continuing to have carte blanche when it comes to bailing out EU countries in trouble (as they did in Italy and Greece's case when they were both bailed out previously) and breaking their own supposedly strict EU rules. They have apparently also been successful in putting Macron back in his box with his attempts to speed up the the creation of the United States of Europe with its own tax, monetary and banking regime ruling all EU countries.

Good luck to them though, anything that stops the main players riding roughshod over the smaller nations cannot be wrong.

(If I have misunderstood about this, my apologies. As I say, this is the first I've heard about it)
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

11-11-2018, 05:46 PM

The UK will be long enough functioning within the framework of the EU to make this interesting. You may not have a say in the european council and parliament, but this little resistance movement can give you influence nonetheless.

https://europeanbalconyproject.eu/en/manifesto
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2018, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
The UK will be long enough functioning within the framework of the EU to make this interesting. You may not have a say in the european council and parliament, but this little resistance movement can give you influence nonetheless.

https://europeanbalconyproject.eu/en/manifesto

I'll have a chat with Her Maj and see what she thinks about it!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

11-11-2018, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
I'll have a chat with Her Maj and see what she thinks about it!
If you move in those circles, you are able to bring change about. Please let us what in the coming period is your personal doing, c.q. achievement.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top