Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 08:17 AM

Re: Things you were made or encouraged to do as a child, but have rebelled against later.

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I've never heard of "crozzle", either - apparently, it's Northern English:

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/crozzled

Since I've never heard it in Lancashire, I'll guess it comes from Yorkshire .....

Yep those are crozzled eggs, they.d be gone right out the window if you served me them haha. I m a Yorkshire lass omah yes
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 08:55 AM

Re: Things you were made or encouraged to do as a child, but have rebelled against later.

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
No vest good grief!
Big knickers?
I wear a vest in the winter, but don't tell anyone!
I'm starting to see the advantage of big knickers now.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 10:36 AM

All I can think of is being made to wear a vest.

I rebelled against it when I was 12 and have never worn one since!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 10:56 AM

Cut my hair short, all through my childhood I wanted long hair when I left home I rebelled and love my hair still.

Wear tights, very rarely wear them these days unless it's very cold then I wear thick wooly ones, can't see the point of those thin nylons at all.

Wear just below the knee skirts, rarely do they come above my ankle these days.

Take cod liver oil each day !

Eat meat.

Have a pet free home.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Cut my hair short, all through my childhood I wanted long hair when I left home I rebelled and love my hair still.

Wear tights, very rarely wear them these days unless it's very cold then I wear thick wooly ones, can't see the point of those thin nylons at all.

Wear just below the knee skirts, rarely do they come above my ankle these days.

Take cod liver oil each day !

Eat meat.

Have a pet free home.
I had such long hair as a child, I could sit on it, Julie. It was my Mother tying it up that I hated, those elastic bands!!!!
I let it loose these days, and not so long.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 11:53 AM

I was always forced to eat right handedly at primary school (someone stood behind me to make sure I didnt switch)
I wasnt allowed at home to eat ham on its own.

Nowadays I have great enjoyment eating gammon/ham as a stand alone food lol
I also eat right handedly still now.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
I was always forced to eat right handedly at primary school (someone stood behind me to make sure I didnt switch)
I wasnt allowed at home to eat ham on its own.

Nowadays I have great enjoyment eating gammon/ham as a stand alone food lol
I also eat right handedly still now.
Both my twins are left-handed Aysa, I never tried to change that. My son that plays the guitar plays with his right hand, mainly because it meant buying a left-handed guitar or restringing, he adapted.

Those Gammon hocks are nice to eat as they are.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 12:26 PM

Beetroot
blackcurrants
liver
tripe
cod liver oil
long hair
pretty clothes
girly toys

Were an anathema to me as child, and avoided like the plague since then.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

12-11-2018, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Beetroot
blackcurrants
liver
tripe
cod liver oil
long hair
pretty clothes
girly toys

Were an anathema to me as child, and avoided like the plague since then.
I agree on beetroot and tripe!!!!
Yuk tripe
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I've never heard of "crozzle", either - apparently, it's Northern English:

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/crozzled

Since I've never heard it in Lancashire, I'll guess it comes from Yorkshire .....

I'm from Yorkshire but I've never heard the word crozzled used to describe eggs which have frizzled edges before.
However, I can see why it became part of the dialect in the steel making regions of Yorkshire - because those overcooked eggs do look like the texture of the crozzle that came from the steel processing furnaces in Sheffield.
You can still see stone walls topped with Crozzle stones, which came from the slag which was chipped away from inside the furnaces - this by-product was used on top of walls, presumably because its sharp, rough surface deterred people from trying to climb over the walls.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3384.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	7948

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3385.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	7949

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top