Join for free
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 09:12 PM

Re: Cold Hard Facts Regarding Brexit.

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Just read this article by Trevor Kavanagh in the Sun Newspaper. It certainly lays bare the pickle we are in thanks to Theresa May’s cowardice in dealing with the EU. It is rather a lengthy read, but the words certainly resonate with what is happening in this country of ours.

100 years after WW1, are we set to surrender?

BRACE, BRACE! The pilot has locked the cabin door, passed the joystick to Ollie the autopilot and we are all of us - Brexiteers and Remainers - going down together.
The crew is baling out while Theresa May sticks her fingers in her ears, ignores screaming cockpit sirens and steers Britain towards abject humiliation.
Barring a bold last-minute swerve - or the ejector seat - we are all doomed.

To lose Brexiteer BoJo as Foreign Secretary - was unfortunate.
To lose his kid brother JoJo, a staunch Remainer, is a disaster for this Prime Minister.
From their different points of view, both put their finger on the sheer madness of Mrs May’s botched bid to extricate Britain from EU coils.

Her BRINO plan, Brexit in name only, is a blatant half-in, half out stitch-up which will infuriate every single one of the 17.4 million people who voted out.
And as Jo Johnson crisply points out, it betrays even those who voted to remain.

The PM’s shambolic Chequers plan keeps Britain enslaved by EU rules, with no power to do trade deals, no say in decision making and a £40 billion bill for the privilege.
Worse, she has left Britain with no escape except through a barbed wire minefield of transport and trucking chaos.
Theresa May has squandered two precious years, torn up her Mansion House promises and destroyed her Commons authority with a jaw-dropping election flop.

Beyond this catalogue of incompetence, the greatest indictment is her failure to prepare for a No Deal and to let Brussels know she means it.
She was simply terrified of upsetting chief EU negotiator Michel Barnier by even hinting Britain might be better off out.
She refused to antagonise our erstwhile partners - now our competitors - by ordering crucial No Deal preparations, still less building them.
And she ignored the blindingly obvious, even though European leaders spelled it out in capital letters: “Britain must be PUNISHED for daring to leave”.
The PM resorted instead to her default position, stubborn secrecy and political paralysis, using up precious time and taking us deeper and deeper into the long grass.

Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and other Leavers must accept some of the blame. They had no idea what to do with a Brexit vote in 2016, and mostly still don’t. They retreated from the battlefield and left it clear for well-organised Remainers.
But for them, Theresa May would not have walked virtually unopposed into No 10. Nor would she have survived last year’s election fiasco.
Once in Downing Street, all she had to do to strike fear into her critics was wave the prospect of a Labour victory.

But those squabbling Tories need to wake up and smell the coffee. Unless something happens very fast, they have already lost the next election, whenever it is held.
The implications of their cowardice are chilling. Three centuries of British democracy, free speech and a free press are at risk from a Marxist government.
Global investors would suck truckloads of cash out of the UK economy the instant they sniffed a likely Corbyn victory.

Tories need to understand voters of all persuasions will find it hard to forgive them for leaving Britain at the mercy not just of Corbyn, but also a triumphant and vengeful EU.
They might not go out and actually vote Labour, but millions who supported Brexit will sit on their hands on polling day or vote for a revived Ukip, Labour would win by default.

There is only one way out of this mess. Brexit must be shown to have worked.
Remain is no longer an option. Indeed, we may now be heading remorselessly for No Deal.
Thanks to Mrs May and her useless Chancellor, Phil Hammond, this will not come without pain.
But we escape with imagination and true British grit or we will be boiled alive!.

It means on this centenary Remembrance of our struggle against tyranny, we risk ceding non-military victory in Europe to the undemocratic forces of an unaccountable totalitarian regime.

UNQUOTE

Do Remainers agree with the above? Do Leavers believe the above is true? It is now blatantly clear in my opinion, that Theresa May, our Prime Minister by default, is fully set on betraying the democratic will of the people. The only defence we have of stopping her treachery are our elected MP’s.
Unless she rolls back on her mad plans immediately,Parliament must fully reject her plan to keep us tied in to the EU with absolutely no power at all. Failing that, we desperately need her to be outed with a no confidence vote immediately.
Yes, I know, I appreciate it is the most insane thing to do at the vital end of the negotiations, but we need someone to deal Britain the hand it was given - Brexit - in full - as promised and voted for, by both parties. THE WOMAN HAS TO GO!
I agree completely and, as I have said, I am one of those who, should May's treachery be carried through, be one of the "millions who supported Brexit who will sit on their hands on polling day or vote for a revived Ukip," even though Labour would win by default.

If we are to remain under the control of a foreign power, how much worse could it be under Compo? The country would be lost in either event.

And when historians look back on today's events, it will be Treason May along with her remainiac supporters, who will be blamed for the inevitable disaster. I can't believe that the stupid woman hasn't realised that.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree completely and, as I have said, I am one of those who, should May's treachery be carried through, be one of the "millions who supported Brexit who will sit on their hands on polling day or vote for a revived Ukip," even though Labour would win by default.

If we are to remain under the control of a foreign power, how much worse could it be under Compo? The country would be lost in either event.

And when historians look back on today's events, it will be Treason May along with her remainiac supporters, who will be blamed for the inevitable disaster. I can't believe that the stupid woman hasn't realised that.
You are very good at guessing that we will be better off outside the EU so how come you know what sort of Prime Minister Jeremy Corbyn would make?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Certainly, no-one wants a no-deal, it would only hurt the UK and the EU alike.
I disagree. I would like a no-deal, and I'll tell you why.

At present, May is letting the EU dictators know that we are nothing more than a push-over. She is actively encouraging them to treat us like s**t.

I am confident that, if we are fortunate to leave with no deal, either the EU leaders or the EU countries individually will soon come looking to us for a free-trade deal. The French especially come across as full of bluster when they think they're winning but, as in 1940 (cue the usual trolls accusing me of living in the past!) when the tables are turned they quickly give in.

They may be arrogant, but I'm sure they're not stupid.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

12-11-2018, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by vaniy ->
most of this nastiness comes from germany with france doing as they are told

most of the other nations do not want us to leave because they are going to have to pay more

also quite a few of them are getting fed up with jack boot mentality and can only see more bickering and in fighting once we finally leave
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Solasch I guess it is natural for someone living in the Netherlands to be upset by the thought of the UK leaving the EU and maybe derailing the gravy train.
Some of us here are made of strong stuff unlike those Europeans who fear change and are worried our departure will mean a little discomfort to their lifestyle .

I am sure there are many like me in the UK who can cope with a bit of inconvenience and hardship until we get back on our feet and regain control over our own future.
You guessed wrong. I'm old enough to remember our poverty in the early sixties. It was cooperation with the 5 other members of the EEG that brought about prosperity. And no, the UK did not contribute. The poor man of europe joined in 1973, begging to be admitted.
If that is the future you wish for your children, let them read what your wish is for them. And please use facts to inform them, not the empty slogans from 2016.
You should realise by now that the brexit you were promised was not and will never be feasible. And that has nothing to do with the negotiations, but the applicable treaties regarding the household of the EU. The only ones to blame are those who blindly followed leaders that shouted what you wished to hear. Other countries in the EU have suffered from similar leaders.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
You should realise by now that the brexit you were promised was not and will never be feasible
No one 'promised' me anything , I don't need to listen to promises from anyone I am capable of making up my own mind and I did that years ago about the EU when the 'Common Market' turned into a dictatorship.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

12-11-2018, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Solasch I guess it is natural for someone living in the Netherlands to be upset by the thought of the UK leaving the EU and maybe derailing the gravy train.
Some of us here are made of strong stuff unlike those Europeans who fear change and are worried our departure will mean a little discomfort to their lifestyle .

I am sure there are many like me in the UK who can cope with a bit of inconvenience and hardship until we get back on our feet and regain control over our own future.
Hear, hear!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I disagree. I would like a no-deal, and I'll tell you why.

I am confident that, if we are fortunate to leave with no deal, either the EU leaders or the EU countries individually will soon come looking to us for a free-trade deal. The French especially come across as full of bluster when they think they're winning but, as in 1940 (cue the usual trolls accusing me of living in the past!) when the tables are turned they quickly give in.

They may be arrogant, but I'm sure they're not stupid.
Put yourself in the position of the others. After you leave with a no-deal brexit there will be economic repercussions for all concerned. Even yourself have stated that much on several occasions.
How welcome do you guess will be people and products from the UK after such an action? Probably you should ask a businessman before answering.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 10:47 PM

I totally blame Cameron. You don't launch a referendum with no plan B. I can't believe he was allowed to just walk away.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
You guessed wrong. I'm old enough to remember our poverty in the early sixties. It was cooperation with the 5 other members of the EEG that brought about prosperity. And no, the UK did not contribute. The poor man of europe joined in 1973, begging to be admitted.
You're really anti British. It doesn't help to promote European unity. You need to take a long hard look at your opinions.

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top