Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 04:29 PM

Extended Warranties

I have a feeling we spoke about this a long time ago, but can I ask your opinions on extended warranties please?

Wehn you buy something new, like a freezer or cooker or whatever, they have a manufacturer's guarantee time, but the shop still wants to flog you another warranty as well.

Is this really worth it do you think, or is a rip-off?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 04:37 PM

Re: Extended Warranties

Depends what it is and where you live, here in very hard water area we protect our washing machine but we don't worry about fridges freezers or cooker. Our water pump is protected too as I said hard water !
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 04:38 PM

I never bother Mupsy.
You have your consumer rights.
And everything is covered by your contents insurance.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 05:08 PM

Mups, l wrote a longish reply and then my internet went off as there was a bad thunderstorm here. I said, words to the effect of.
No l don’t purchase extended warranties because l usually buy any electrical items from John Lewis to get their 5 year guarantee on televisions. Other items from there carry a 2 year guarantee. My bank will then add another 2 years guarantee on items over £50.
I always by good brands that l know should be reliable and go to the library to read the Which magazine.

The only ones usually to profit from extended warantees are the salespeople who sell them.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 05:11 PM

I'm not so cynical art, our washing machine has had hundreds of pounds of repairs due to hard water, the £30 a year we pay for the expended warranty has been paid back to us many times over. If we had same policy on the cooker it would have been throwing away money though. So you have to look at these things carefully.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 05:20 PM

I wouldnt ever bother Mups..I think theyre of no use and as SP has said you have your consumer rights anyway.
Ive not taken out extended warranties on anything ive bought.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm not so cynical art, our washing machine has had hundreds of pounds of repairs due to hard water, the £30 a year we pay for the expended warranty has been paid back to us many times over. If we had same policy on the cooker it would have been throwing away money though. So you have to look at these things carefully.
What brand is your washing machine? Julie.

I live in a hard water area and never had any trouble from my AEG washing machine that l have had for over 11 years.
My first AEG washing machine was a reconditioned one and that lasted 17 years with no problems.

I suppose £30 isn’t bad for a year, if it gives you peace of mind. My sister pays hundreds for five year guarantees and nothing goes wrong!
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 05:50 PM

Here you go.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news..._warranty.html
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 05:58 PM

I've never been a fan of extended warranties and they are usually a very big earner for the retailers, which speaks volumes really. The fact is, of course that you can always extend the warranty period later on bevore the main warranty expires should you wish, you really don't have to do it on the day of purchase...
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 06:20 PM

If you feel you must have ew shop around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top