Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 09:52 AM

Re: Horrendus fires in California.

Originally Posted by rhosyn ->
One of my son's girlfriends has had to evacuate her home in Malibu.Luckily her home has escaped the blaze but she doesn't know when she'll be able to return,there is still so much smoke around.
That must be so worrying.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 02:53 PM

celebs can buy so no probs there --- the ordinary folk who cant is terribly ' why do we hear of people dying -they watch the news -they know how near it is ? so why do they stay ' get out fireman have told them no doubt ' its bricks and mortar thats all -just a house u cannot protect it and certainly not worth a life for sure ' they have plenty of warnings -pack up the wagon and go -until it dies down ………..
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 04:16 PM

That's just what I was thinking too Maddy. If your told to get out then you grab your family, pets, purse and phone then get the hell out.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 04:25 PM

I think the term 'Wildfire' is wrong. It makes it sound like it has happened naturally which I doubt is the case unless the weather is very hot. More likely to be a discarded cigarette, camp fire or even arson - apparently even a spent bullet can cause them too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I think the term 'Wildfire' is wrong. It makes it sound like it has happened naturally which I doubt is the case unless the weather is very hot. More likely to be a discarded cigarette, camp fire or even arson - apparently even a spent bullet can cause them too.

That's what I asked before, Dongle.

How did this fire start, does anyone know?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 06:21 PM

Electrical storm, dry lightning strike???
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Electrical storm, dry lightning strike???
Yes, that's possible too plus electrical 'arcing'. (Not train tracks though).
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

13-11-2018, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's what I asked before, Dongle.

How did this fire start, does anyone know?
I don't suppose they will ever get to know Mups but I bet it is something to do with humans.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 07:13 PM

Last week the shooting just a few miles away in Thousand Oaks, and this week everyone from my old neighborhood was evacuated in Westlake Village on Thursday. The evacuation was lifted Sunday once the fire passed.

Several houses that burned this week in the Woolsey fire were two blocks from my house , not far from where my school friend Heather Locklear lived and her parents reside. At the time, several pro American football players lived on that street too. They would all have insurance.

In '76 our house was cracked down the middle and waves sloshed around in the pool when an earthquake rocked the area. The next summer, I was in the shower and looked out to see a helicopter scooping water out of the pool to fight a fire not far from where the M*A*S*H* outdoor set was located.

It's a very surreal area of California - earthquakes and fires are always a threat in a place that has perfect, year-round Mediterranean-like weather with gorgeous scenery. It's not surprising that it draws famous and affluent people (we weren't), but as mentioned, they can all afford to rebuild.

If you live in the U.S. you are threatened by varying degrees by some natural disaster - volcanoes, hurricanes, mudslides, ice, crippling blizzards (auto-correct tried to type "crippling lizards" :lol), earthquakes, floods, tornadoes. It's a mystery to me why insurance isn't required for everyone, renters and owners alike. We must have angered the gods somehow - probably all those bad action movies, narcissistic movie stars, and violent video games .

CandyCrunch
USA
CandyCrunch is female  CandyCrunch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 08:40 PM

The fire in the north was caused somehow by electrical wire failure or downed, not sure.

Lightening is a common cause as well as carelessness and I shudder to think- arson. Long droughts.

Like Surfer said we have violent nature over here. CA has always had fires, rainfall and mudslides, as well as earthquakes. Due to so many, many more people pouring into CA in droves, fires have become almost commonplace.

In a way, the state can be said to be over-populated when one thinks of these fires. A ton more people making mistakes, many more buildings, a huge infrastructure, so many millions more of gas burning motor vehicles on the roads, the list goes on. So much more then less than 100 years ago.

The draws to CA are many- the natural beauty, the nice climate, the farms full of produce and vineyards are huge industries as is the entertainment business, technology in Silicon valley, the fishing industry, tourism, etc. So many jobs; so many people, so many more risks.

A recent big fire started because a truck's tire blew apart; the metal rim went down on the pavement creating sparks that flew into dried out brush.

Yes, people have insurance. If they need a mortgage they can't get one without it and the status of insurance is always reported to the lender. Those without a mortgage of course may choose not to carry insurance for whatever reason. In those cases the federal government (i.e. taxpayers) bail them out.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top