Join for free
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 04:58 PM

New whisky distillers in Norwich

Noticed this yesterday, they're exporting abroad.

I hope for their sake they haven't spelled the word "Whisky" like this, . . only Scottish distilleries can use this spelling, . . any whisky made outside of Scotland had to be spelled "Whiskey", . . the Scottish distillers have copyrighted the word to protect true whisky made in Scotland.

The Japanese tried this, and so did the Americans, and they paid hefty fines for breech of copyright.

Buying a bottle spelled "Whiskey" lets the public know it aint Scottish, . . . we are the only ones who make true highland nectar.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 05:06 PM

Re: New whisky distillers in Norwich

Well I never knew that!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Well I never knew that!
Neither did the USA of Japan Azz, . . . just a little trivia . . however, I hope for the chaps sake he knows this fact.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2009, 02:54 PM

You won't be rushing to try a wee dram then nero?
nero
Central Scotland

17-12-2009, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
You won't be rushing to try a wee dram then nero?
Not from Norwich DM, . . the water's poor in England, . . Scottish water is the finest in the UK, . . it drains off peat moors and is filtered by the peat, this is what gives our Whisky it's unique flavour.
DavindeK
New Member!
Ottawa, Canada
DavindeK is male 

24-12-2009, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by nero ->
Noticed this yesterday, they're exporting abroad.

I hope for their sake they haven't spelled the word "Whisky" like this, . . only Scottish distilleries can use this spelling, . . any whisky made outside of Scotland had to be spelled "Whiskey", . . the Scottish distillers have copyrighted the word to protect true whisky made in Scotland.

The Japanese tried this, and so did the Americans, and they paid hefty fines for breech of copyright.

Buying a bottle spelled "Whiskey" lets the public know it aint Scottish, . . . we are the only ones who make true highland nectar.
Can you give me any specifics on this copyright and on the hefty fines? In Canada we almost always spell whisky without the 'e' and it's the same in Japan, France, Sweden, Wales, and England. There are also five American whisky brands that still spell it without the 'e' on their label (Early Times, for example).
nero
Central Scotland

24-12-2009, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by DavindeK ->
Can you give me any specifics on this copyright and on the hefty fines? In Canada we almost always spell whisky without the 'e' and it's the same in Japan, France, Sweden, Wales, and England. There are also five American whisky brands that still spell it without the 'e' on their label (Early Times, for example).
I found these links for you, it seems the Canadians won their case in the Canadian courts, this judgement is invalid on the international scene though IMO.

http://excesscopyright.blogspot.com/...blog-post.html

http://www.whiskyshop.com/

Note the Irish spell theirs whiskey, . . this is because they're members of the EC and they're complying with EC law, . . Canada is not a member of the EC therefore they can spell it as they wish.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top