Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2009, 12:24 PM

Re: Safest cookware? (pots/(frying)pans)

Gawd if your that concerned stick to salads and raw home grown fruit and veg.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2009, 05:00 PM

If I had the time and space I'd grow my own veg and only buy (meat) from local farmers - it's a pain having to rely on supermarkets!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2009, 09:12 PM

Mini - do you still have the SKK box/documentation? If so can you see if it says what type of non-stick coating it uses? Is it PTFE or PFOA or similar?

Edit: Ok just found out that it does..

Swiss Diamond, like most good quality non stick pans, such as SKK, still contains PTFE, the vapours of which have been named as a carcinogen when heated over 235 degrees centigrade.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2009, 11:50 PM

I've never used teflon coated cooking utensils. I swear by a good old well seasoned black wrought iron frying pan. Azz, you should look into the Romertopf, I've had one for years and love it.

This is a US site, but gives you an idea of what they're like. I have the 3-5 baker.

http://www.romertopfonline.com/clay-bakers/
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2009, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Mini - do you still have the SKK box/documentation? If so can you see if it says what type of non-stick coating it uses? Is it PTFE or PFOA or similar?

Edit: Ok just found out that it does..
Azz my pan is coated with titanium, 40 times stronger than stainless steel .They use it for surgical procedures like joint replacements so it should be pretty safe

Titanium is a metal proven safe for humans. Because it is biocompatible (non-toxic and is not rejected by the body), titanium is used in a gamut of medical applications including surgical implements and implants, such as hip balls and sockets (joint replacement) that can stay in place for up to 20 years. Titanium has the inherent property to osseointegrate, enabling use in dental implants that can remain in place for over 30 years. This property is also useful for orthopedic implant applications.
We now offer you SAFE and healthy cooking with Titanium Cookware. Young Living provides outstanding cookware to complement your healthy lifestyle.

With the titanium cookware, you can use little or no oil, fat or water for cooking. Food retains maximum nutrients, enzymes and flavor. The surface is a patented, high-tech, non-stick, scratch-resistant titanium finish. The thick thermobasic hand-cast aluminum base ensures optimum heat distribution and retention. The non-porous titanium layer is 100% effective in preventing the aluminum from leaking. The handles, lids and knobs are oven proof up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
The Top Five Advantages of Titanium Cookware

Are you thinking about buying titanium cookware, but are not sure whether the high price tag is worth it? More and more cooks today are turning to this space age metal for all of their cookware needs. Why? Find out the top five advantages of using titanium in the kitchen so that you can decide whether the investment is right for you.
1. Titanium is Healthier - Use Less Oil While Cooking Titanium pans are truly non-stick, which means that you will need less oil or water to cook your food. This is great news for the health-conscious among us, because it eliminates the "invisible" calories added to foods by cooking fats. A single tablespoon of butter in the pan adds 100 calories to a meal - and many dishes require even more.

Even water, while better for the waistline and for the arteries than cooking fat, can drain vital nutrients from your food and dilute its natural flavor. Being able to cook without worrying about your food sticking to the pan can help you be healthier while preserving more flavor.
2. Titanium is Easy to Clean Titanium pots and pans are very easy to clean. Just rinse and dry.

3. Lasts Longer - Never Need to Buy Another Set of Cookware If you invest in a good set of titanium cookware, the chances are high that you will never need to buy more pots and pans again. That's quite a claim, but titanium is extremely strong and it resists dents and scratches. When you think of how often you have to throw away cheaper pots and pans and replace them, the high cost of titanium cooking supplies doesn't seem that expensive after all.

4. Heats Quickly - Reduces Cooking Time Titanium is a very fast-heating metal, which means that your cooking surface can heat much more quickly than many metals, reducing the amount of time you need to spend cooking over a hot stove.

5. Quick to Clean - No Scrubbing Necessary One of the most beloved features of titanium pans is how easy they are to clean after cooking. The non-stick cooking surface means that no food adheres to the pan, so cleaning is a cinch. No abrasive detergents or hard scrubbing is needed, simply wipe down the pan and you're done.
Using titanium in the kitchen is an investment that can pay off many times over in terms of healthier cooking, longer time needed between replacements (if any replacement is needed at all), and more time saved in cooking and cleanup. It's well worth giving titanium a try in your kitchen today.
http://www.totaloptimalhealth.com/TOH_Cookware.html

SKK Pans Made in Germany, are a very wide range of Non-Stick Pans, Saucepans and Frying Pans. They
have a special Non-Stick Titanium base layer which is 40 times stronger than stainless steel
I have recently discovered that I have been exposed to asbestos (when a heating system was removed some years ago ) so the coating on my pan is the least of my worries
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

21-12-2009, 03:11 AM

Hi Meg, as far as I know they still use a non-stick coating on top of the titanium (titanium itself is a metal, thus not non-stick). It's a shame they don't have a UK/US website as they'd be expected to provide clear details of the type of coating they use.

Gastroflux use titanium for example, but use a non-stick coating on top of it (although they claim it is not PTFE or PFOA coating). So if titanium was a non-stick material ...why bother? It's all confusing when they don't have official websites that just come clean on what they use.

I emailed Gastroflux's US distributors earlier and got this response:

Originally Posted by Me
Hi, Could you please let me know if your Gastrolux products
contain any PTFE's?
Hello,

Gastrolux does not contain any PTFE, PFOS, or any other chemical used in
traditional non-stick surfaces. We are certified to 500 degrees Fahrenheit
with no off gassing,

Rest assured, our products are safe, and support a healthy lifestyle. If
you have any further questions, please let us know, or call us at
403-689-3360.

Best regards,
I replied back with:

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Your website talks about a bio-mineral non-stick coating - is this a natural coating or a chemical coating? Does it give off any gases at all if left on the hob empty? Which gases are given off after 500 degrees Fahrenheit is passed? Is the non-stick coating you use completely non-toxic and completely safe?

All the best,
Not got anything back yet..

Sorry to hear about the asbestos - which part of the heating system do they think was the culprit? I worry about it too, especially as I gutted this house which is over 100 years old! How did they say it is effecting you? Was it a large exposure? (Not sure if the amount matters?) Can they do anything? *hug*
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2009, 11:58 AM

Sorry to hear about the asbestos - which part of the heating system do they think was the culprit? I worry about it too, especially as I gutted this house which is over 100 years old! How did they say it is effecting you? Was it a large exposure? (Not sure if the amount matters?) Can they do anything? *hug*
Azz it's a long story I had the heating system (electric warm air unit) replaced a few years ago and there was no mention of asbestos at the time. I removed part of the unit myself due to the inefficiency of the firm doing the job.

My neighbour recently decided to replace her unit, that was when we discovered they contain asbestos. What is done is done, I don't dwell on it, no point in making yourself ill about something which may or may not happen . (I enjoyed the hug though x)

I am not worried about Alzheimer's either, I think there is a huge genetic factor involved . We were bought up with aluminium sauce pans most people were. My stepmother who had a family history of Alzheimer's developed the condition in her late fifties. My father retained his astute and highly intellectual mind until he died aged 89 after a lifetime of eating food from aluminium pans
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2009, 02:07 PM

All this concern about the safety of cooking utensils. You are more likely to get trouble from what you cook in the pans than you ever are from the pans themselves.

Come to that either is probably less hazardous than driving or even crossing the road.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

21-12-2009, 05:28 PM

Just heard back from Gastroflux's US distributor:

Hello,

Gastrolux uses an all natural mineral for the surface refinement, so there are no chemicals. I have attached a certificate of testing. PFOS is the chemical that is applied to traditional cookware so that (PTFE) “Teflon” will Stick to it, PTFE by itself will not adhere to anything without a PFOA base.

Under testing, Gastrolux contains no PFOS, therefore no PFTE can be resident. Additionally, we have many customers that have expensive birds, and the issue of PTFE was a major concern of theirs. Glad to say they are all safe.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Brent Ness
Active Concepts Ltd.
Sounds good. I may go to one of the kitchenware shops to take a look

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Azz it's a long story I had the heating system (electric warm air unit) replaced a few years ago and there was no mention of asbestos at the time. I removed part of the unit myself due to the inefficiency of the firm doing the job.

My neighbour recently decided to replace her unit, that was when we discovered they contain asbestos. What is done is done, I don't dwell on it, no point in making yourself ill about something which may or may not happen . (I enjoyed the hug though x)

I am not worried about Alzheimer's either, I think there is a huge genetic factor involved . We were bought up with aluminium sauce pans most people were. My stepmother who had a family history of Alzheimer's developed the condition in her late fifties. My father retained his astute and highly intellectual mind until he died aged 89 after a lifetime of eating food from aluminium pans
Hope none of the symptoms appear Meg, here's another *hug* and

Re Aluminium, personally I think so long as it's not the final metal (ie behind a good coat of stainless steel/titanium) it's prob ok ) I think the use of it in deodorants etc isn't on tho. Hence why I only use natural non-aluminium toiletries etc

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
All this concern about the safety of cooking utensils. You are more likely to get trouble from what you cook in the pans than you ever are from the pans themselves.

Come to that either is probably less hazardous than driving or even crossing the road.
I think they are both of concern. Having been affected by such things in the past, I take the matter quite seriously (as you may have guessed! )) I just wish I knew what I do know back then.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 08:38 AM

Good quality stainless pans are the best IMO, . . we've had a set for many years, the bases are half an inch thick so tend not to burn food easily, . . they were'nt cheap but they've lasted well.

A frying pan should be not too heavy, . . . it's less of an impact when the wife bashes me over the head with it.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top