Join for free
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 02:00 AM

Is cooking something you'd like to get into?

Or, get into more?

I know I would! So wondered what everyone else thought. If there was a nice website, as friendly as this one that was all about cooking - would you join?

It would try to encourage people to try new things, and hopefully include lots of other hints and tips... along with being a place for the more experienced to share their knowledge and special techniques :grin: not to mention encourage healthier diets as people would be cooking foods rather then just buying processed nonsense!

Whaddya think?
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 07:33 AM

Re: Is cooking something you'd like to get into?

I dabble a bit Azz, . . but today with all the quickie pre-prepared food in the supermarkets most folks take the easy option, . . Tescos even sell bags of prepared mixed vegetables for soup so you don't need to peel and dice.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 10:08 AM

I love cooking Azz but I don't think I'd ever join a website
There are a lot of cooking forums of different sorts already, from the 'celeb' ones, which also do Q&As to those run by Tesco (ivillage) etc which also have cooking fora and 'engines' (is that right?) which allow you to 'dial in' requests for recipe sugestions for a dinner for six using. e.g. eggs. potatoes, curry leaves and boot polish.

Good luck to you if you decide to set anything up. You would be entering a crowded field.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 11:56 AM

Heck, no. Been there, done that, got fed up with it.
anna
Norway
anna is female  anna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2009, 01:26 AM

If I could find a website like that I sure would want to join.

Love cooking, and prefer to use basic ingredients (is that the right expression as opposite to ready made?).Try to vary my diet & eat healthy, but sometimes find it hard to find new (& good) recipes.

I do like to watch programs like "Masterchef goes large" etc.. - but they are way above my scills. I also often search for new recipes on the net - but would love somewhere to discuss cooking on a "low" level.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2009, 09:59 PM

I like cooking and enjoy cooking shows on TV; I dislike most ready made, prepared foods...God knows what additives and preservatives are in them! I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable on a cooking site as I suspect many of the recipes would be for things that are difficult to scale down for one, although I am pretty good at that. As DM said, it's a crowded field.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2009, 11:45 PM

Thanks for the input all

Maybe we can have something a little different to just a discussion forum then got some ideas - will look at it again in the new year
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2009, 11:54 PM

Yes, keep working on it Azz; I sort of like the idea.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2010, 01:33 PM

There is a BBC Cookery Forum which I joined a couple of years ago. I soon found that I was in it way over my head as although I thought I could cook I soon discovered that I was not a 'foody' foodies know all about wine and what you should and should not drink with this and that. The know all the names of different cheeses and would have been appalled to know that I like a nice drop of red plonk with a bit of mousetrap cheddar.

I love to cook and I love to try new things and am very interested in foods from all over the world but I am very suspicious of the 'chefs' on television who think it is clever to swear and curse there way through the training of unskilled cooks. I have worked in many kitchens and I would have just walked away from Mr Ramsay.

At the moment it seems very chic to cook pigs cheeks, trotters and tripe none of these things really apply and I heard that chicken kiev 'was so 80s' as is prawn cocktail. I don't like to be told that.

I love the idea of swapping ideas about cooking but in a down to earth way and beg people not to make each other feel small because they have never cured their own, smoked their own or know what a particular kitchen gadget is called.

I am eating the Atkins diet at the moment and have lost 11lbs. I eat a low carb diet with no bread, potatoes or sugar. Most of my meals are chicken breast and vegetables, fish and vegetables and a few egg and cheese dishes especially cream cheese which I add to almost anything including spinach.

My husband is a diabetic and I have found this way of eating is a great way of keeping his blood sugar normal without drugs. However, it would be good to get some fresh ideas from vegetarians or people who are just low carbing.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top