Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 01:41 AM

Re: I ordered my first cookery book

All you need now Azz is an apron like this one with 'Joined up Whiting' on the front .

[
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 06:58 PM

I only like to look and read cook books and I have felt very let down by some of the famous Chef's cook books they seem expensive and not very helpful unlike the brilliant Good Housekeeping cookbook that I have had for donkeys years and which has travelled all over the world with me. Nowadays I look on the internet for recipes and then when I discover I haven't got all the ingredients make it up as I go along.

Deliah's books are full proof but to watch on television it has to be the Barefoot Contessa for me. I love Nigella and used to enjoy Saturday Kitchen.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2010, 03:31 PM

My first two books were a Paupers cook book-Jocasta Innes and a paperback of Constance Spry`s book of cooking and everything.

That was 1972--I got addicted

books give advice,they inspire(well some do -can`t be having with `celeb` twaddle)

Cooking comes from the heart -master the basics and then let yourself go free
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2010, 05:23 PM

It arrived today - and it's HUGE! Am a little disappointed that not every recipe has a picture tho.. for beginners like me I like to see what I should expect :-/

I had another recipe book as a present too, The Half Hour Cook:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Half-Hour-Co...2622985&sr=1-1

And it actually looks quite good - and every recipe has at least two to three photos with it, not just the end product but on the cooking/preparing process too. At the moment I prefer it to the Delia one. Also the dishes seem more modern (or things you can actually see yourself wanting to eat).

I agree that you need to learn the basics and go with your heart - I hope to get to that stage one day
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2010, 05:33 PM

Azz it sounds to me that you like food and people and that you have a generous nature which are all the things a good cook needs.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2010, 05:39 PM

And when you get more confident you'll enjoy trying new recipes, and you can fiddle with them a bit. When trying a new one I always follow the recipe the first time, then feel free to adjust ingredients a bit morre to my personal preferences.

That new cookbook looks very interesting; what are you going to try first?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2010, 05:43 PM

Thanks guys

The Delia book is my favourite again she goes to great length to cover all the basics, and teaches you how to make things from fresh too! I can't wait to get stuck in!
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2010, 06:16 PM

I know this might sound a bit a `sexist` but we are over 50??

But back in the early 70`s I taught myself to cook-I couldn`t afford to take young ladies out on a student grant.

But I soon learnt how to cook a decent meal.

I never had kids but I would have said "learn to cook" and if you are planning to stay out take a change of under wear and your toothbrush-but who listens to old gits??
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

08-01-2010, 07:08 PM

I'm not over 50 no, an honorary member

Know what you're saying about learning to cook - I just never learned when I was at home, as mum always did a grand job although my dad is a good cook too and I did try to learn one or two recipes when I was preparing to go to Uni.

My main desire to cook is so I can eat healthy additive-free wholesome meals - cos most of the stuff you buy in the shops is just too processed and 'junk'
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

08-01-2010, 08:24 PM

My eldest son is very good looking and plays in a band however, he tells me that it is cooking which caught a really gorgeous wife. He cooks all the big family meals and is marvellous at pastry. My youngest son is just the same good looking but loves to cook and actually has earned his living cooking. My daughter can't boil an egg how odd is that?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top