Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2010, 09:24 PM

Re: I ordered my first cookery book

Lol the funny thing is my sister has no interest in cooking either! She bakes a cake now and then but says she doesn't have the time for cooking (she is rather busy).

I love cooking even though I'm rubbish at it! I think I am not brave enough tho, as I don't put in enough salt, or butter, or other naughty but nice things thinking about the health aspect

I'll just have to go on the bike for an extra 30 mins a day LOL.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2010, 09:40 PM

Azz, cooking for one can be a bit trying as most recipes are designed for two or more, but it can be done, believe me. A bit harder for you as you are limited in some of the things you can/will eat. Hang in there, you'll be eating much better and avoiding a lot of the additives/preservatives/artificial coloring junk!

Do you like fish? Portion control is easy with them.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2010, 10:21 PM

One of the big reasons for cooking for yourself is that you can cook up a storm and freeze meals for the nights you don't have time. I became accomplished in the art of making chilli, curry, spaghetti sauce and shepherds pies. I would make loads and freeze individual meals for the times I did't have time to cook or my husband was home alone.

Soups are another thing that I have become good at. I make curried parsnip soup when the parsnips are cheap. Leek and potato, french onion and my favourite which is just the vegetables that need to be used up. Pop them in the oven, drizzle with oil and season well roast them and then pop them in a food processor. Add any available stock and a little cream if you feel so inclined. Delicious and so so cheap.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2010, 10:51 PM

That's very true, but I do prefer making single servings; not too fond of leftovers. Even soup, I'm making chicken vegetable tonight, single serving. Guess I'm odd;
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2010, 12:26 AM

I use every bit of everything, I even have recipes for leftovers which usually leads to more leftovers. I don't think you are odd at all. You probably have excellent portion control which is something that I should learn. When I cook there is always enough for seconds and some to freeze for another day.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

09-01-2010, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
I use every bit of everything, I even have recipes for leftovers which usually leads to more leftovers. I don't think you are odd at all. You probably have excellent portion control which is something that I should learn. When I cook there is always enough for seconds and some to freeze for another day.

Awww, thank you CC ... I try! Been cooking for myself since my Dad died in '64.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

09-01-2010, 12:44 AM

I know how important portion control is. My husband and I are both overweight and it is down to eating too much and that is the truth. I complain that my mother-in law eats too little but she cooks and eats just enough to satisfy her. I read somewhere that you should always leave the table still feeling a little hungry. I have difficulty just leaving the table. I really am bad at eating just too much.

My daughter says at breakfast eat like a king and lunch eat like a prince and at dinner eat like a pauper.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

09-01-2010, 03:25 AM

I never eat breakfast, know I should but just not hungry in the morning: juice and milk is it. Light lunch and main meal at dinner; light snack at bedtime, which I know is a no-no, but it's usually just a few cashews or a bit of cheddar on crostini while I watch the late news. I'm no poster child for proper eating, really!
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2010, 12:13 PM

All boys should be taught the basics of life and I don`t mean Latin Grammar-although I has enough of that to last me!!

Women like a man who is clean,considerate and caring. He should be able to cook,iron and be able to put clothes in a washing machine without confusing whites with coloureds.

Well it`s seen me well for the last 25 years
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

10-01-2010, 12:22 PM

Hang on there don't you think girls should be taught that stuff too. Anyway my husband is none of those things yet I have loved him dearly for 20 years. I have even printed off a map of the kitchen if he should ever find himself alone and thirsty.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top