Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2010, 06:35 PM

Re: Fruit & Veg

OK forget I tried to help.
sully
uk
sully is female  sully has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2010, 08:35 PM

I find Marks and Spencers salad,fruit and veggies last the longest and are the best after many trials of different supermarkets ive done!
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2010, 08:53 PM

I can get pretty good fruit and veggies all year long from our supermarkets but sometimes not.

I take them when in season right out of the garden (or farmers garden) and freeze them for the winter and most freeze well. Tomatoes do not but tomato sauce does, potatoes do not but sweet potatoes do but I bake them first and wrap in foil to freeze. You always need to blanch first since this will set the color and remove the bacteria before freezing. There is nothing like goodle to help you, if you have never frozen fruit before.

Nothing like in season produce so this may be second best for you Denis.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2010, 09:32 PM

Supermarkets have sacrificed quality for prices and quantity IMO, . . it's winter just now so all the fruit and veg come from abroad, . . if they would just raise the temp in those containers slightly the produce would not go off so quickly when you get it home.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2010, 09:45 PM

I quote someone here 'Ok forget I tried to help'
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2010, 06:43 PM

If I buy fruit and veg from Tesco and it doesn't stay fresh, I ring up the shop and complain. I have my groceries delivered by Tesco and this has happened twice. I order enough veg mostly salad stuff peppers, cucumbers ect. to last about two weeks. I just complain and they ask if I want a replacement or money back. I have the money put back on my card as I can't bear the idea of a Tesco truck coming all the way to my house with a few salad veg.

I think you deserve to get value for money and I keep Tesco on their toes. I spend quite a bit there each month and as I point out I could always go to Asda, Somerfield or the Co-op in this area. We as the customer should put our feet down.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top