Join for free
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2010, 08:28 AM

Brits bin food

Brits throw out worth £7.7 billion of out-of-date food every year, a study has revealed.

Each month, the average adult throws away food worth £13.30 – or a total of £159.60 a year – because they haven’t got around to eating it before it goes past its use-by date.

Across the country, that means a staggering £7,660,800,000 of food is ending up in the bin – with yoghurts, sandwich meat and lettuce the most commons things to throw away.

Milk, cucumbers and bread also regularly get left to go off.
http://bit.ly/d6PZCZ

Its cucumber with us, it very rarely all gets eaten, I often wish the half sizes were half again.Thats one of the reasons I like to grow my own, its usually all eaten and you can pick them small.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2010, 08:00 PM

Re: Brits bin food

This throws up lots of issues - waste of money, waste of food, carbon footprints etc etc.

I must admit I don't throw out yoghurts - look at it, sniff it, taste it, if it seems ok I eat it - it's only sour milk after all

I try to compost compostable items but I still seem to get some waste. I tend to cook meals that are too big for the two of us and freeze the left overs. Unfortunately, a lot of the time, this postpones throwing it away because I don't fancy it when it comes out of the freezer.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2010, 08:54 PM

I hate the thought of wasting food. I always try to use up food before I buy more as we were always told when we were young that there are many starving people in this world and that has remained with me.........
sully
uk
sully is female  sully has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2010, 08:57 PM

I dont waste any food, only chicken bones and salad stalks!
anna
Norway
anna is female  anna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2010, 01:33 AM

One of the advantages of owning a dog is that not much food goes in the bin. Val mention cucumbers - in my country there is always a knife close to the cucumbers in the shop - so we can just buy as much we think we can consume...
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2010, 06:33 AM

Well I'm blowed Anna what a good idea, mind you it would get pinched here even if it was attached.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2010, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by val ->
Well I'm blowed Anna what a good idea, mind you it would get pinched here even if it was attached.
Either that or there would be a supermarket rage stabbing
val
Kent UK

15-05-2010, 08:45 AM

Trolley rage is quite rife as it is without adding knives to it, mind you I haven't seen anyone waving cucumbers and hurling tomatoes....yet!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2010, 10:43 AM

Hardly any waste in this house - even vegetable peels are eaten by the dog

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top