Join for free
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2010, 02:01 PM

Lemon Juice Concentrate - taste?

If I squeeze the juice of a few fresh lemons, then boil them down to 'concentrate'... what will I end up with? Something sweet ish?

I'm just wondering what it will end up tasting like
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2010, 03:11 PM

Re: Lemon Juice Concentrate - taste?

I have to ask -why?

The skin has most flavour if you want a `lemon` taste.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2010, 04:23 PM

I would think you'd get a beter result by warming the skin (and only the skin - not a scrap of white pith, or it will be bitter) in water.
But I've never done it, or had any reason to think of doing it.
As OG says, the flavour is in the skin, so you could get a lemon zester, scrape the zest from as many as you want and either use as is, or freeze in small portions to add to dishes later
Boiling lemon juice will remove all vit C for sure - I'm not sure what else it might do!
If you try it, let us know?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2010, 04:54 PM

I am trying to make a relatively 'sweet' lemon dressing - and LS mentioned on Dogsey that people often boil Apple Juice to concentrate and use that as a sweetener... so thought I'd try it with lemon juice too

I will add some agave syrup if it doesn't go to plan lol
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

18-06-2010, 05:54 PM

Ok... so I tried it...

It went all 'goey', and so I tasted a bit and at first I thought it _did_ taste a bit sweet, but then a really intense lemon zest flavour kicked in! (which made me pull faces! lol).

So on the whole, I think yes - it certainly 'adds something'
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2010, 01:43 PM

So be it,but it still sounds like a waste of lemon juice to me.

Try peeling some lemons,and as said,little or no pith, and simmering the peel in a raw sugar syrup.

That will give you a sweet lemon base to play with and you still have the juice to use some other way
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

19-06-2010, 01:48 PM

Will give it a try next time OG
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2010, 02:20 PM

Or maybe use alcohol (?vodka) to get the lemon flavour?
Just steep the zest in alcohol - no need to cook
That would keep in a sealed bottle, I would think

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top