Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2012, 09:34 PM

British food

I have just watch the Hairy Bikers and their top 5 British meal.

Fish pie was the top but my mouth watered when they showed the Bangers and mash quickly followed by Fish and Chips, not stupid curry's or foreign rubbish, just good old plain British food.
Luvly jubly.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2012, 09:56 PM

Re: British food

Spoken like a man who loves is food AB

Well cooked with the best ingredients they are all lovely dishes though they have been somewhat overshadowed by the latest cuisine.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2012, 10:26 PM

What I can't stand is when you go out for a meal and they do this hoi' cuisine or whatever it's called! All you get on a plate is a dot of this and a splodge of something else all nicely placed on the plate so they think! Well there's not enough to feed a bird never mind a human being!! I have to go out and have another meal after it to fill me up!! Bring back the good old British dishes where you get a proper plate full of food and none of this other silly way of presenting food.

Anyone agree with me?
Silver Surfer
Manchester UK
Silver Surfer is female  Silver Surfer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2012, 11:58 PM

Absolutely agree ,the last meal we went out for they gave us the steak and just 6 chips piled up like Jenga ,and just some little dots of meat juice all around the edge of the plate .
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 12:07 AM

Agree with you too Alicat. Don't go out for a meal very often, but did go one dinner time, just before Christmas with my friend to celebrate her 60th. Decided to have lamb chops with chips and side veggies-we just sat and looked at our plates when the food arrived.....three small chops sat on few carrots, few peas and couple bits of broccolli with about 8 chunky chips at the side-didn't even fill the middle of the plate, never mind us.

Don't like to waste food, but like enough to fill me up!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
I have just watch the Hairy Bikers and their top 5 British meal.

Fish pie was the top but my mouth watered when they showed the Bangers and mash quickly followed by Fish and Chips, not stupid curry's or foreign rubbish, just good old plain British food.
Luvly jubly.
Do you know what goes into sausages? It'd turn your stomach but, having said that, I love good old bangers and mash.

My diet consists mainly of rice dishes and stupid curries or otherwise spicy foods.

I remember some years ago some friends of ours went to a Haut Cuisine restaurant not far from here. Bearing in mind that this lovely couple weighed in at about 60 stone between them, the food on their plates was insufficient for their needs, so they called in at the Indian on their way home!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 09:45 AM

I don't watch many "food programme", but I do lke the witty reparte the Hairy Bikers have between them and they make their cooking look so easy. Fish is top of my list of favourites (all kinds) and I like to try it done in as many ways as anyone can invent. I really don't mind whether it is traditionally British or not - the more variety the better for me.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 09:45 AM

One has to choose a restaurant carefully. I like Indian, I like Chinese, but I also like Bangers & Mash, steak & Kidney pie, Bacon pudding etc, etc. I shall be heartily glad when I can dispense with the elbow crutches I'm being forced to use at the moment and can actually stand in my kitchen and cook my own food again. Am looking forward to cooking a 'good' curry again. Last November I found a 'new' Scandanavian restaurant that served Reindeer steaks. Unfortunately on the night I went there they'd actually run out, so had a ham hock instead - the food was magnificent and more than enough to do justice to my appetite (which you all know is enormous).
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Surfer ->
Absolutely agree ,the last meal we went out for they gave us the steak and just 6 chips piled up like Jenga ,and just some little dots of meat juice all around the edge of the plate .
Watching the chefs on TV piling things up I am struck by how much they handle the cooked food I am not too keen on having my food handled so much all in the name of making it look pretty. It also means hot food can arrive at the table cold.

I also dislike the way they serve so much of the meat not just rare but almost raw.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 02:30 PM

Mollie, yes I know what goes into a good sausage and it is not what some devious butchers put in them to make them fatter, also not as much water is used these days hence the less spitting that they do in the pan.

Joe, I never eat curry, what looks and smells like dog poo does not go anywhere near my mouth.

Meg I agree with you, to much hands on food is done by so called chefs and as for 'Pink' meat, no wonder there are so many people with bad stomachs, meat well cooked gets rid of any Bacteria.

Allicat, Silversurfer, The places that we go for a meal they serve plates that are overflowing with food not like these fancy restaurants where there is not enough food on the plate to feed the mice in their kitchens.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top