Join for free
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2009, 12:40 PM

The Duchess

What a good film! Have you seen it?
Based on the life of Georgianna, who became Duchess of Devonshire by marrying (or being married off) on her 17th birthday! Keira Knightley and Raphe Fiennes are great, as are the supporting cast.
The historical times are interesting, Georgianna's lover being Charles Grey (later Earl Grey, of tea fame) reforming Whig MP and eventually PM, who oversaw the end of slavery etc.
And being Dukes and Duchesses and whatever they are, of course, our betters and are the progenitors of many of our current 'betters', including Lady Diana Spencer and Sarah Ferguson.
Well worth a viewing
(yes I am having a lazy, square-eyed weekend; my sciatica is so much better for a practically motionless Satuday, so I thought I'd do it again today. Don't think I've ever watched a movie at 10.30am before!)
Dee3
New Member!
East Anglia
Dee3 is female 

04-10-2009, 01:17 PM

Re: The Duchess

Have Sky+ this film!Hopefully will get to watch it in the week.Hope your nearly motionless weekend helps your back.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2009, 01:21 PM

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it Dee
Vicki
Croydon, Surrey
Vicki is female 

13-12-2009, 03:06 PM

Fabulous film - I really enjoyed it

dinahsmum
SW England

14-12-2009, 10:36 AM

I watched it again last week - and still liked it! I even looked up a bit of the history. Do you know, after all the palavar about having to have a son, the child himself never had an heir Fuss over nothing!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top