Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2013, 03:10 PM

Magpies

I love working in my garden and encouraging birds and butterflies to visit us. But I have never had this before.

A magpie keeps coming into the garden, it always has bread in its beak that it has picked up from somewhere and goes to one of our water fountains, soaks the bread in the water and puts it on the side of the fountain. It then drinks some of the water picks the bread up and flies off. Yesterday it did this three times, that i saw.

It did it again before i came to work this moring.

Amazing - anyone else have anything like this.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2013, 04:19 PM

Re: Magpies

I've seen magpies dipping food into birdbaths Shirley. Some of it rather gruesome stuff as well. They are very clever birds and perhaps they do it to clean it off or know that if they make it wet it slips down easily.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2013, 04:20 PM

Great story - he obviously likes his bread 'dunked'....
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2013, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I've seen magpies dipping food into birdbaths Shirley. Some of it rather gruesome stuff as well. They are very clever birds and perhaps they do it to clean it off or know that if they make it wet it slips down easily.
It was so funny, the first time i saw it i was amazed when the Magpie turned up for the third time that day i wondered if it was feeding its young and the bread had to be soft.
Yes they are very clever birds and hopefully they will stick to bread
shirley
Gloucestershire

03-05-2013, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Great story - he obviously likes his bread 'dunked'....
I wonder if this is the same as us dunking biscuits
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2013, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
It was so funny, the first time i saw it i was amazed when the Magpie turned up for the third time that day i wondered if it was feeding its young and the bread had to be soft.
Yes they are very clever birds and hopefully they will stick to bread
That woud make sense Shirley - feeding young ones - although I imagine they would rather have meat.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2013, 04:35 PM

Yes Shirley they do, the bread might have got stale and too hard in the sun, so they will soak it first.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2013, 08:20 PM

They're very clever, beautiful birds, I know some people trap & kill them, it makes me sad.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2013, 04:50 AM

I don't think I've ever seen one around here. It sounds like a clever bird and would be interesting to watch!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2013, 05:56 AM

I love magpies they are as much the sound of the bush as Kookaburras. Australian magpies are related to butcher birds, they are big, bold and generally friendly with a very distinctive warble.

During the breeding season for about 5 weeks some will swoop, attack from behind and even draw blood if they think you are too close to their nest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top