Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 11:20 AM

Re: Elephants and their amazing memories

They do - its so moving to watch this take place ... they touch the bones very gently and stand quietly over them before moving on ......
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 11:45 AM

There is no doubt that elephants have very long memories. They are also capable of feeling and expressing loss. Their brains are well developed and they are highly social herd animals who live for a long time. Their gestation period is quite long and the young stay with the adults for quite a period of time, needing nurturing care for a lot longer than many mammals. (just like human children do).

I think that this is an interesting story, but feel that there is a logical explanation for the behaviour.

The story relates that the first time the elephants came to the site of where this chap was living they reacted in a wild unpredictable manner (natural - they are wild animals). They were suspicious of what they saw as an intruder on their "elephant" highway. The man had probably (unwittingly or knowingly) set up his home along an ancient elephant route. Eventually the elephants came to accept him and even came to relate sociably with him and they lost some of their fear. Wild elephants are migratory and travel great distances, returning along the same routes to the same places generation after generation - it might take months/years, but the herds will travel these ancient routes for as long as they are available to them. They return to where they know there will be food and it is seasonal and also depends on the rains. It is not surprising that they would return to his camp sooner or later.

Interestingly the story says:-

Quote - “They had not visited the house for a year and a half and it must have taken them about 12 hours to make the journey,”

This tells me that this area was probably on a regular elephant route and I think it is probably simply coincidental that they arrived after the old man had died. Probably the old man fed then and so they would know there was food and water there. Also because he had become familiar to them and related to them over the years they came to accept him and and expected to see him and vice versa. I don't think it is surprising that when they returned they would wonder where he had gone and hang around for a while hoping to see him again. They may well have even experienced loss - they certainly would have known that there was a change.

Although it is a lovely idea and the producers have cleverly used Labi Siffre's famous music and words in their video, I think it is a shame in a way that they have projected and promoted such a romantic idea for their own ends - when the reality is probably different.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

31-05-2013, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
There's a memory rattling around in my brain that I've heard they will walk miles and miles to elephant graveyards?
that's is true seen it - and when they get there they sniff around the exposed bones as if performing a funeral ceremony and will spend some time there before moving off.

I equate their intelligence and behaviors to dolphins actually
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
that's is true seen it - and when they get there they sniff around the exposed bones as if performing a funeral ceremony and will spend some time there before moving off.

I equate their intelligence and behaviors to dolphins actually
Elephants will also attempt to bury their dead by covering them with branches, leaves and earth.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 01:33 PM

There is a lot of thought process in animals for which 'most' humans dont give the credit to them ... I guess because they are not that interested - thats a shame ...
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2013, 06:09 PM

Loved your posts Aerolor - I have to say, elephant routes hadn't even occurred to me, I didn't know they had them! So, I've learned something new today, thank you

Mindbender - a lovely thread and I'm pleased you posted that link.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top