Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2013, 06:41 PM

What have you done for your pet...

Did anyone hear the item on radio 4 the other day when they were discussing Karl Lagerfeld and the love he has for his cat .
They were asking people to email in with things they have done for their pets.

One woman told about her husband's love for his cat and how when it went missing for some days a neighbour reported that sadly it had been involved in a traffic accident .

So the lady collected the cats remains/had them cremated and the ashes placed in an inscribed casket.

After all this 'the missing cat' waked back into its home
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2013, 06:44 PM

Re: What have you done for your pet...

Oh, dear....
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 09:09 AM

I have always had cats and done lots for mine. I work 8 days a week to feed them and keep them in the comfort they think they deserve.
Love my babies. Got only three now, used to have six at a time before they passed away in old age. Never had less than two. Don't know what I will do when these last three pass on as I am getting too old to get anymore and don't want to just leave them alone if I pass.
Had many a big personality in my cats and feel I could write a book about them. Love them to bits.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 09:25 AM

Biggest thing I think we have done for our dogs is I work evenings/nights/early mornings and my husband works days so we are always here for them, and another biggie was when our late Benny dog had heart attack - gave him mouth to mouth which seemed rather big at the time .
Uff
Scotland
Uff is female  Uff has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 09:38 AM

We adopted our German Shepherd dog from the rescue centre with some trepidation as we didn't know how she would settle, what sort of temperament she had etc. She'd had a bad life so that made it more likely that she might be nasty. So, I don't ask what we've done for her but what she's done for us.

She's enriched our life from day one and continues to be a delight to be around. He devotion and loyalty knows no bounds and she makes me feel quite humble at times.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 09:50 AM

It is the same in our house I work days and my husband works nights so there is always someone there for our two gorgeous girl cats. They need company as well.

I still say two - our beautiful Abigail died last November but we still feel she is part of the family as she brought such joy with her antics. She had a heart attach and luckily my husband was there with her and held her at the end.

Samantha continues to make us laugh so much with the performance involved when she needs to go to the toilet. Priceless.
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 11:16 PM

The thing I've always tried to do with my cats, is be there at the end for them wherever possible, be it through old age or a heart-rending trip to the vet. They've all brought me so much laughter and joy and I feel it's the last dignity and bit of love I can give.

I only have Alice now and she's eleven, but she too has brought me such comfort in what has been a very difficult past six months.

Gwyn
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 09:35 AM

I try to keep some of their natural instincts fed - being Spaniels, they like to forage and look for things so when we're out, I chuck dog biscuits into bushes and long grass for them to find (they end up looking like kangaroos bouncing in and out of the long grass ), I also hide things in the house for them to find. Spaniels are also water lovers so they go swimming most days. My older dog has gone from being aggressive to all men and all dogs to being quite tolerant - usually.

Now - what have they done for me ...
Pepper
Rochdale UK
Pepper is female  Pepper has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 05:00 PM

At the moment i am at home all the time so my two puss cats are getting 24 hour love and affection. They are both just over a year old and we have never been apart. Next year i will be going away for a week and i have found them a lovely cattery close to where i live.
We are a little unit of three and all of us would miss very much the one that was away. They give me so much affection, and i return it in shed loads.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 06:30 PM

My last cat - Franky - I rescued from a cattery. I have this thing about anything a little different and Franky wasn't like the other cats at all. For one thing he didn't like other cats and would hiss at any that came near him, but the worse thing about him was he had scratched the fur off his head and neck. Terrible sores and the cattery didn't know what to do about it.

On taking him home I went through all the 'normal' procedures - visit to the vet etc - and we tried everything to stop what seemed to be a habit. I even thought it was something wrong with his brain - as in bonkers. I eventually decided to look at the problem logically - as in when I fix a computer - and decided there must be something wrong somewhere physically. I never knew about ear mites - and neither did the cattery owners or the blasted vet come to that - but after taking samples of 'stuff' from his ears and looking at them from under a magnifying glass I could see what was the cause of it all. Once that was established I got the right stuff to cure him. He was literally tearing himself to pieces because of it. I had to watch him all through his life though as he always had a tendency to scratch himself badly.

He was always a bit odd but boy what a character. Amazing animal. Lost him a few years ago but even now I catch myself stepping away from a mark that has caught my eye on the floor thinking I was stepping on him. Such a hard act to follow I haven't wanted another cat since. Can't see any other cat being anything like him again as I have had cats before him, but Franky was unique.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top