Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 08:19 AM

Re: St Georges Day

Maternal grandmother was born on this day in 1892
I am celebrating that ... and St George's Day, as an incidental

I believe Shakespeare was born and also died on this day?

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
St George may be just a token figure, but celebrating his day would show pride in our country and teach children to follow the same example. Some of us are proud to be British!

Does one need to celebrate a reprobate, to feel feel pride???
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
As I said, George is just a token figure but somebody, with a different opinion to you, must have thought he was worthy of becoming the patron saint of England!
I can't stand Jeremy Cobyn, but I would still have to pay the taxes he expected me to, if he won the election!
I wouldn't care if they had chosen Mickey Mouse to be our patron saint, because it is more about supporting our country than worshiping somebody we never knew!
I thought we were all aware that legendary stories are more fiction than fact.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 09:09 AM

St George may be just a token figure, but celebrating his day would show pride in our country and teach children to follow the same example. Some of us are proud to be British!
Never a truer word spoken Twink.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 09:12 AM

What beautiful ,striking eyes your Grandma had Rachel.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 09:16 AM

As I said, George is just a token figure but somebody, with a different opinion to you, must have thought he was worthy of becoming the patron saint of England!
I can't stand Jeremy Cobyn, but I would still have to pay the taxes he expected me to, if he won the election!
I wouldn't care if they had chosen Mickey Mouse to be our patron saint, because it is more about supporting our country than worshiping somebody we never knew!
I thought we were all aware that legendary stories are more fiction than fact.

There are literally dozens of Brits we could pick down through the annalls of history to be a nominated person to celebrate - onbe that immediately comes to mind - Oliver Cromwell - a well known Republican and scourge of the monarchy!!!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 09:41 AM

Happy St George's Day!

I went to St George Grammar and the day was always recognised as a special day where a couple of dignitaries came in to give a talk to the whole school who were amassed in the school Hall. We waited and listened patiently throughout the speeches, awaiting the closing address ...... "Continue your hard work, achieve your best .... I grant you a one day holiday on ****". They received a deafening applause from the pupils, little knowing we were applauding the extra day holiday and not their often boring speeches
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Does one really need to have a username of a murderous bastid?

Your comment does not surprise me though....never have I met anyone that is as treacherous as you.....you should be shot at dawn though, this lunchtime would be better..
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 10:53 AM

Uncle Joe for Christ sake put a sock in for once you miserable person.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2017, 11:46 AM

Today is the `traditional` day to pick dandelions for wine. And,I found my old recipe book, this is a little bit more refined than UJ`s but I did belong to a wine circle and did win a few prizes.

From 1980;

For three gallons.

8 pts petals

2lb Sugar

2lb Honey

3 pints white grape juice concentrate

Acid mix--citric,malic and tartaric

`Hock` style yeast.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top