Join for free
Page 26 of 27 « First < 16 24 25 26 27 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2021, 12:46 PM

Re: World War II

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I don't know where you went to school, but they certainly had some strange concepts.

- The Norsemen left their homelands, travelled by land all the way across to Russia, then turned around and travelled all the way back across Europe to the northern coast of France?

- The Norsemen were not Vikings, and the Normans were not Vikings per se? What were they then, Arabs?

Now that is NOT what I wrote. I was simply pointing out that Vikings did NOT have to rely on travelling by water to travel contrary to what Annie had at least implied.

Also the Normans were NOT exclusively Vikings but no doubt would have included SOME people people from areas where Viking folk were to be found - I THINK that was Norway but that's only think. Whatever the Normans were descendents of the Norsemen who obviously cross bred with the people they encountered in France which is where the name Normans came about and associated with the region of Normandy.

As far as I know/believe!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2021, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Now that is NOT what I wrote. I was simply pointing out that Vikings did NOT have to rely on travelling by water to travel contrary to what Annie had at least implied.

Also the Normans were NOT exclusively Vikings but no doubt would have included SOME people people from areas where Viking folk were to be found - I THINK that was Norway but that's only think. Whatever the Normans were descendents of the Norsemen who obviously cross bred with the people they encountered in France which is where the name Normans came about and associated with the region of Normandy.

Seems there was a lot of interbreeding going on at that time Todge?
Do you think the Viking prediliction for rapine had much to do
with it? And do you think the Nazis inherited this prediliction from
their ancestors ??
And does this account for the the old british saying, " all Germans
are bastards"" ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2021, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Seems there was a lot of interbreeding going on at that time Todge?
Do you think the Viking prediliction for rapine had much to do
with it? And do you think the Nazis inherited this prediliction from
their ancestors ??
And does this account for the the old british saying, " all Germans
are bastards"" ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
There's always interbreeding going on.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2021, 02:11 PM

There's always interbreeding going on.
My question was about rapine Todgy ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

12-04-2021, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
My question was about rapine Todgy ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Certainly! Rape all the cattle and kill all the women why not!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 01:29 AM

Hilarious. So you "think" rather than "know".

Judging by this discussion it does seem that nobody is too clear on who the Normans were or whether they were "french" at all. The original discussion (way back) was why do we hate the French if we are part french, but apparently we are not! Or are we?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 06:49 AM

Is Vic There???
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 08:18 AM

At what point did this thread change from discussing WW2 to a discussion on the Vikings and Norsemen?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
At what point did this thread change from discussing WW2 to a discussion on the Vikings and Norsemen?
Well I've said all I want to about the Normans.
I'd be happy to get back to WW2.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
We were talking about the French being our historical enemies & during WWII being on the other side ...it was mentioned the antipathy started in 1066...

Page 26 of 27 « First < 16 24 25 26 27 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top