Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 11:41 AM

Re: Moon Gardening

There is such a vast difference in night and day temperatures on the moon.
Because the Moon has no atmosphere to block some of the Sun's rays or to help trap heat at night, its temperature varies greatly between day and night.
So I can't see this being possible, unless they intend putting a special dome (?) on it, or something similar.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
According to "Journey into Space" the Moon not only has gravity but also underground cities complete with gardens. Jet, Doc, Mitch and Lemmy were suitably impressed.

http://www.over50sforum.com/album.ph...pictureid=3773

http://www.over50sforum.com/picture....pictureid=3772
I know, I have those episodes You can still download them if you know where to look.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I know, I have those episodes You can still download them if you know where to look.
Oh I do, Bruce, I do !!

I have all three originals and the two later ones.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
It could provide useful information for the future if we reach the stage where this planet becomes very polluted
That's the thought that went through my head when I read Mups' first post.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 11:21 PM

[QUOTE=Janela;400102]There is such a vast difference in night and day temperatures on the moon.
Because the Moon has no atmosphere to block some of the Sun's rays or to help trap heat at night, its temperature varies greatly between day and night.
So I can't see this being possible, unless they intend putting a special dome (?) on it, or something similar.[/QUOTE]

Either a dome or perhaps some genetically modified type seed able to withstand these fluctuations?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2014, 10:08 PM

You would think that 50 years on since man supposedly walked, drove, and danced on the moon that they would have the seed growing thing sorted out by now, will they grow, won't they grow, that is the question. The only way to really find out is to send a good gardener up there with a trowel and a watering can, and stop wasting time sending up robots.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2014, 01:15 AM

I still question what right we have to try and 'take over' another planet.
I wonder how we would respond if Martians wanted to start altering our planet? Or come to that, if any life form from a far galaxy started rootling around here, I can't see us happily giving them a plot to work on, so why are we interfering elsewhere?
We are told life doesn't exist there, but just because human life may not exist, why can't there be other forms we don't yet know about, maybe forms that need exactly that type of climate to live and that couldn't survive in our world.
My imagination's running wild now . . .
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2014, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I still question what right we have to try and 'take over' another planet.
I wonder how we would respond if Martians wanted to start altering our planet? Or come to that, if any life form from a far galaxy started rootling around here, I can't see us happily giving them a plot to work on, so why are we interfering elsewhere?
It has already happened:

"No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter. It is possible that the infusoria under the microscope do the same. No one gave a thought to the older worlds of space as sources of human danger, or thought of them only to dismiss the idea of life upon them as impossible or improbable. It is curious to recall some of the mental habits of those departed days. At most terrestrial men fancied there might be other men upon Mars, perhaps inferior to themselves and ready to welcome a missionary enterprise. Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us. And early in the twentieth century came the great disillusionment. "

See!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2014, 04:36 PM

Was that from "War of the Worlds" Bruce?
I think they have studied us many times and decided they don't want anything to do with us, and who could blame them, we should not try to go where we are not welcome.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

10-01-2014, 11:21 PM

It'll just be another 'power struggle' between nations later on, people fighting over who has a right to what, when its wasn't ours to fight over in the first place. If we were meant to be there, we would have been born there in the first place.
I've got a whole load of funny thoughts about this sort of thing, but my friends on here might be tempted to get me certified if I tell. . .

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top