Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2014, 05:25 PM

The robots are coming to steal our jobs!

Told yah!"

The robots are coming to steal our jobs

Originally Posted by BBC News
Mr Jacobstein predicts that artificial intelligence will overtake human intelligence in the mid-2020s, begging the question - what will a society dominated by machine intelligence look like and what exactly will be our role in it?
Originally Posted by BBC News
Chinese company Hon Hai, the world's largest contract electronics manufacturer, has announced it intends to build a robot-making factory and replace 500,000 workers with robots over the next three years.
Well the time scale I predicted, or thought of, might well be wrong in that the robotic takeover will take place a lot sooner.

Some very interesting times and social changes on the horizon.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2014, 05:38 PM

Re: The robots are coming to steal our jobs!

Oooo-er ..... Robots making robots
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2014, 06:19 PM

"May you live in interesting times!" Supposedly an ancient Chinese curse.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2014, 06:30 PM

If the march towards AI and Robotics continues at its present rate, human societies will simply have to change.

If Robots actually take over jobs that humans currently do, what do those people then do to live and what will they live on if they cannot earn a living?

There's also the problem of business and politics - can a Robot be trained to do what businessmen and women currently do because I find it impossible to believe that any machine could be taught to do some of the things that are common in business and could you train a machine to lie?!

To an advanced machine, logic will always prevail but mankind is not driven or governed by logic; if anything, we're governed by greed.

A machine has no concept of possessions or riches - greed, because that's not necessary for them to continue to function.

Look at Asset Strippers for example - could you EVER train a machine - a Robot - to effectively destroy a perfectly viable business purely for personal gain?!

Could you train a Robot to make promises it cannot keep like a politician does?

Could you train a Robotic Doctor to have a good bedside manner?

Could you train Robotic Football Teams the nuances of Football when, logically it is a time-consuming waste of energy with risks of potential damage to the participants not to mention the unnecessary expenditure with Police, Ambulances, over-subscribed and crowded transport systems, the pressure on the NHS etcetera, etcetera?

No, sorry but I don't see AI / Robotics ever being allowed to progress to the point where it / they could be a threat to the existence of human beings and that would soon come about if you were to continue to let more and more advanced machines design and build the next generations.

They'd soon work out that biological, unreliable human beings are non-essential! stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2014, 09:24 PM

They can't even make a decent vacuum that doesn't need a human to push it around so can't see me being out of a job.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2014, 10:28 PM

They'd soon work out that biological, unreliable human beings are non-essential! stevmk2

That's food for thought Steve.
Oh yes definitely big changes are on the way in my opinion, no more work for humans, the robots will be doing everything from managing whatever we possess to where we will live and how much space a person is allotted, what we will eat and when we should go to sleep and wake up, then eventually be put to sleep for good, it will all be the norm then and no one will even turn a hair, that's if one is allowed have hair, beards are definitely out, they are a sign of rebellion, we may be the last generation who have experienced freedom and choice. We humans, as ever, are the masters of our own destruction, oh why wasn't I born a racehorse.

These lads will be first off the production line, to ensure you do as you are told.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2014, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
They can't even make a decent vacuum that doesn't need a human to push it around so can't see me being out of a job.
Yes they can and they've been making them for a few years now:

http://robot-vacuum-review.toptenreviews.com/
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2014, 12:42 PM

LOL I was in on the testing in office environments of them, they cannot do the job a human can do and don't have any attachments for getting staples out of the carpets or finding food spills and clearing them up. They could not replace a human being doing the job. Also when they break down who notices and still makes sure the offices are clean ? not another vacuum but a human.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2014, 12:45 PM

I think the elite would rather enjoy far fewer peasants around - they are seriously outnumbered now and with all the rights that people have, it puts their 'right' to be elite under the spotlight.

So I think this will happen to a large extent - as for doctors, to be honest, I think robots would probably be better for some of the reasons Steve has listed: robots would not put whether some drug company is offering lots of money to them to use drug therapy instead of surgery (or vice versa I suppose) and robots would be less likely to make errors of judgement. Take this for example: http://www.dvice.com/archives/2012/1...urgery_r_1.php (also scroll to bottom of page for other robotic advances).

I think it is those of us at the bottom of the ladder that will have the most to worry about all of this - those at the top I would imagine will remain unaffected.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

14-01-2014, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
LOL I was in on the testing in office environments of them, they cannot do the job a human can do and don't have any attachments for getting staples out of the carpets or finding food spills and clearing them up. They could not replace a human being doing the job. Also when they break down who notices and still makes sure the offices are clean ? not another vacuum but a human.
I don't believe I said that a robotic vacuum would entirely replace a human being - you stated a human is needed to push them around when humans are not needed for that. I have no doubt that the technology will continue to advance.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top