Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 05:47 PM

Re: Dark Supermarkets?

They do - great lumbering things they are - the trolleys they use too Ugh ! They get on me nerves
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 05:58 PM

Nice to see this thread 'cos my wife and I were only talking about it yesterday!

I agree with whoever it was that said they prefer to see what they buy - we do too.

The reason is that I'm a great one for checking added ingredients like sugar content, salt content, fat content, hydrolysed vegetable fat and so on because it's important to me to know exactly what I'm eating, just as it should be so for everyone really.

The food industry is constantly finding ways to disguise additives for one simple reason - profit, so it's up to the consumer to try to keep on top of it and NOT do what governments do and allow industries to regulate themselves!

When you buy online there will undoubtedly be other items that may appeal that you may have no knowledge about in terms of additives.
In the store yo can check them but online isn't easy.

Trying to find the info on those items online is daunting unless you are a chemist these days so that's why we'll only ever buy food items online, if we ever need to do so, that we know about.

My MIL has a family member doing her orders online with Sainsburys all the time, which does help her out because she cannot walk much more the 100 yards at any one time - and she is almost 90.

However, what she gets delivered by Sainsburys, bearing in mind her disposable income, is not always good for her because cheap food can sometimes mean more additives unless you know how to check them out.

Take for example nuts - she has an allergy but have you seen just how often some packs, tins etc. say "Could have traces of nuts" in them these days? It's quite shocking when the dish / ingredients shouldn't have any need whatsoever for nuts to be anywhere near them!

MIL says she's not bothered but we've got her things that we've carefully vetted for her and almost every time she's told us that they tasted nicer than the equivalent she's had from Sainsburys!

A final point here: - I am allergic to nuts too.

I like Black Pepper and Rock Salt.

Both of these in built-in grinders state quite clearly "Could have traces of Nuts" - why?!!

Who the Hell puts nuts anywhere near pepper or salt?!! stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 06:06 PM

I also have to check ingredients due to allergies and diabetes I find it much easier on line, Tesco particularly has a lot of info about each product and I don't need to fiddle with glasses to see it.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I also have to check ingredients due to allergies and diabetes I find it much easier on line, Tesco particularly has a lot of info about each product and I don't need to fiddle with glasses to see it.
Didn't know that Julie - thanks very much for that info!
Must do a double check on Sainsburys now, in case I'm not up to speed as they say!

That's what I love about this forum!!! stevmk2
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->

A final point here: - I am allergic to nuts too.

I like Black Pepper and Rock Salt.

Both of these in built-in grinders state quite clearly "Could have traces of nuts"
Who the Hell puts nuts anywhere near pepper or salt?!! stevmk2
The company that produced those products may also make products that do contain nuts....they are playing ultra safe but as a 'trace' is all that is needed to cause a reaction they have to label it as such.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 07:17 PM

I know nut allergies are important but I get a bit fed up of being told they have no idea if things are safe in the bakery department and the fish counter, they should IMO know if fresh fruits have been used or if shell fish has touched wet fish. I find myself not buying anything in case it sends me into anaphylaxis.

At least with tins and packets I feel safe they have to say what is used.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 07:55 PM

When I first saw the heading 'Dark Supermarkets' on BBC News it first crossed my mind that you had to do your shopping in semi darkness. 'Nah', I thought, 'that can't be right as how do you see what you are buying?'. Next thing that crossed my mind was that they must be keeping the supermarkets open all night and these were people who preferred to shop when others are in bed. Quite a shock really to find out the supermarkets were constructing entirely customer free new shops to cater for online shoppers only. Amazing how one thing (online shopping in this case) causes a chain reaction down the line.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 11:08 PM

That's a shame, shopping in semi-darkness could be interesting!
I only shop on-line with Tesco if I'm not well, then it's very handy!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2014, 04:27 PM

I got banned from online grocery shopping, I got caught eating the fruit off the displays.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

25-01-2014, 04:31 PM

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top