Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 01:44 PM

Global warming - irrefutable

Well, it seems the people who believed that the recent climate change was just a periodic blip in the grand scheme of things were wrong. Global warming is here and will impact on everyone.

Dr Saleemul Huq, a convening lead author on one of the chapters, commented: "Before this we thought we knew this was happening, but now we have overwhelming evidence that it is happening and it is real."
This article is unsettling in the extreme. We have carried on regardless ignoring the warning signs and by the looks of it it is now too late to undo the damage.

BBC News
Climate impacts 'overwhelming' - UN
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 02:14 PM

Re: Global warming - irrefutable

Thank goodness I won't be around when things really get serious. Are we heading towards a planet which cannot sustain a human population ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 02:16 PM

I don't think anyone denied global warming is happening it's the cause we dispute. Natural cycles of the earth cannot be affected by stopping me putting my heating on or taking a shower or driving my car.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Thank goodness I won't be around when things really get serious. Are we heading towards a planet which cannot sustain a human population ?
I think so - that's why they are looking at the moon for habitation ?
That's 'mankind' for ya - greed and excess - stripping all the goodness away
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't think anyone denied global warming is happening it's the cause we dispute. Natural cycles of the earth cannot be affected by stopping me putting my heating on or taking a shower or driving my car.
Trouble is Julie that kind of attitude and reasoning is partly to blame for global warming in the first place. If you draw a parallel with governments and industrialists then there is your answer.

Global warming isn't about any natural cycle but the result of our population explosion and the amount of gases we have thrown up willy nilly in to the atmosphere.

Originally Posted by BBC News
There is nothing inevitable about the worst impacts on people and nature, Dr Field says. We can cut emissions to reduce the risks of catastrophe and adapt to some changes that will inevitably occur.

We have to re-frame climate change as an exciting challenge for the most creative minds.

Cutting local air pollution from, say coal, can also reduce carbon emissions that cause warming; creating decent homes for poor people in countries like Bangladesh can improve lives whilst removing them from the path of flood surges.
US Secretary of State John Kerry commented: "Unless we act dramatically and quickly, science tells us our climate and our way of life are literally in jeopardy. Denial of the science is malpractice."
Floods - food shortages - drout - heat waves - you name it and it is coming by the looks of it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 02:54 PM

Well we can't both be right and neither of us will live to see the end and find out what actually caused it so I will carry on as normal unless someone can offer me definitive proof I am wrong.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

31-03-2014, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well we can't both be right and neither of us will live to see the end and find out what actually caused it so I will carry on as normal unless someone can offer me definitive proof I am wrong.
Eh? You are thinking on a local and personal level only. Whatever you do won't make a blind bit of difference so yes carry on as normal - as we all will; but if you consider things on a much larger scale then you can see my point.

Take for instance the electricity you consume, it might well have been created by a coal fired power station (unlikely now but at one time yes), or the metal in your car in huge smelly iron and steel works - not here so much anymore but in China and other developing countries the pollution is absolutely appalling. So the stuff we consume or use might well have created a great deal of atmospheric pollution at one time or other and still is probably. So in a way we are all to blame but more so the guys in charge who should know better, or should have known better.

I don't suppose many have taken global warming seriously so no-one is really to blame. Politicians and industrialists will be judged on how they behave from this point on. Do they carry on regardless or take stock of the situation? According to the report the fiscal price to pay is enormous.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 03:34 PM

What is irrefutable regardless of the cause, is that Britain cannot solve any problems on a global scale unilaterally. Without the huge polluters getting on board, and I won't hold my breath on that one, then we as a nation are powerless and impotent.

My personal feeling though is that if all the world's scientists agree that the world is warming then I am rushing out now to buy more sweaters to combat the imminent ice age.....
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

31-03-2014, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
My personal feeling though is that if all the world's scientists agree that the world is warming then I am rushing out now to buy more sweaters to combat the imminent ice age.....
Well I was hoping for more sun but that don't seem to be on the cards at all.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

31-03-2014, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
What is irrefutable regardless of the cause, is that Britain cannot solve any problems on a global scale unilaterally. Without the huge polluters getting on board, and I won't hold my breath on that one, then we as a nation are powerless and impotent.

Exactly so if we can't do anything meaningful may as well be warm and get around etc and enjoy life.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top