Join for free
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2016, 07:08 PM

Brownfield Sites for Housing

Hi

Brownfield Sites, basically derelict land, old factories etc are to have Government Funding cut and then abolished.

We have a housing shortage, to my mind this is stupid.

We should not be eating up green fields, when we have thousands upon thousands of acres of ugly derelict land which could be redeveloped usefully.

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...-for-new-homes
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2016, 07:34 PM

Re: Brownfield Sites for Housing

I couldn't agree more. The practical solution would be council housing for those who can't afford to buy, but that's not going to happen with this lot in power.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2016, 07:36 PM

The thing is, some of the brownfield land is not good and the soil can be hazardous and toxic.
I think we have to be realistic as houses need to be built. I think it is wrong to house humans on sub standard, toxic land.
wabblewalk
surrey borders
wabblewalk is male  wabblewalk has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2016, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Brownfield Sites, basically derelict land, old factories etc are to have Government Funding cut and then abolished.

We have a housing shortage, to my mind this is stupid.

We should not be eating up green fields, when we have thousands upon thousands of acres of ugly derelict land which could be redeveloped usefully.

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...-for-new-homes
Could not agree more, but most of these brownfield sites are in or near city centres, which make them too expensive for Mr Average to be able afford. These sites are probably the focus for the speculative investment brigade and will be to expensive for joe public to ever be in consideration for.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2016, 10:32 AM

The former Rio Tinto Zinc/Anglesey Aluminium site here is being redeveloped at last. However, there are mixed feelings about the Biomass project, funded by the Chinese! Allegedly 500 jobs will be created, which is a priority here after the closure of all the industries we relied on over many years.

It's in a gorgeous place on Holy Island, right next to Holyhead on the A5, with a big Tesco just after the turnoff. It would have been an ideal place to build a new village but, there again, there is the much disputed pollution problem. The irony is that there were big protests at the loss of jobs when Anglesey Aluminium went but the extremely high deaths from cancer on the island are covertly blamed on radiactive polution from it and now many object to the new plant on grounds of pollution.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by wabblewalk ->
Could not agree more, but most of these brownfield sites are in or near city centres, which make them too expensive for Mr Average to be able afford. These sites are probably the focus for the speculative investment brigade and will be to expensive for joe public to ever be in consideration for.
Hi

Brownfield sites can be expensive, but only in areas where house prices are very high.

In the rest of the UK, the vast majority of it, they are well worth developing.

http://www.coeddarcy.co.uk/timeline.html

In Telford, there have been massive Brownfield Developments, a mixture of Industrial, Commercial and low cost housing.

It makes sense to me to redevelop these sites rather than leave them as ugly derelict land, with all it's attendant problems.

It certainly makes more economic sense than spending £40 Billion on HS2.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 05:18 PM

Most greenfield sites aren't for the benefit of the Hoi polloi.
tomcat
Bristol uk
tomcat is male  tomcat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 07:33 PM

I cannot understand why we are building tens of thousands of houses for the rapidly expanding migration population ..because they are certain not for the Mr and Mrs average English Joe Blogs.. It makes me feel sad that we are covering are once green and pleasant land with concrete, as I said before world population in 1950 was just under 3 billion 60 years later its in the region of 7 billion ..How many houses do you want to build for these people
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 11:43 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Worcester's 1,145 empty homes "scandal" revealed
http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/...uot__revealed/
One house in the above article has been empty for 13 years.
It must be the same in many towns and cities.

I was under the impression that there was a department within each council responsible for bringing empty houses into use by serving repair or compulsory purchase notices on the owners. If this was done properly there would be no need for so many new houses to be built.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top