Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 04:36 AM

Re: take the elevator -or lift !

I don't like escalators at all.
Elevators are a must for 34 floors.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 10:01 AM

we have a escalator in our Tesco it is built high first time I used one of theirs .. u push the trolley on and it stays rigid dont move -got used to it now bit scarey first time especially loaded up coming downwards -- if the wheels did move =god help you lol....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 12:29 PM

I actually go out of my way to find some steps to run up, Scarborough is particularly exciting.....Loads of steps....
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 07:22 PM

I know the type Tesco use, we have one in the nearby store.

I will always use a lift but remember when I worked at St Thomas’s Hospital we shared with patients and porters. Quite often it made me and other staff late, as you had to wait for an empty one. If a porter came along with a bed and patient, they wanted the lift just for themselves. It was nightmarish.

I worked on the 4th floor so no way could I use the stairs, only for coming down (if my legs allowed me).
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 07:33 PM

Before I developed trochanteric bursitis I always used to climb the stairs, I think it's the best exercise you can get - for older people anyway.

Nowadays unfortunately I have to take the escalator. I prefer escalators to lifts.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2018, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I actually go out of my way to find some steps to run up, Scarborough is particularly exciting.....Loads of steps....
I have done those... well, walked not run.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2018, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have done those... well, walked not run.
Thats still good going Longdogs.....
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 09:16 AM

Working as a courier for a number of years in London especially around St James and Victoria SW1 you get to depend on lifts.Especially when you have computers and screens to deliver.

You also get to know the ones that are regular in breaking down. If I ever got stuck in on I would merely sit on the floor in a corner and catch up with all my paperwork from previous deliveries.

The amount of times I would be in the lift with people that start swearing and cursing and pacing.

Mind if I had only envelopes to deliver I would take to the stairs.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

27-11-2018, 11:59 AM

Respect Longfellow, I also worked as a courier but up norf' I did have regular forays out to most big cities and towns including London. I used to enter from the M1 and proceed down Kilburn high road, it was so busy and vibrant.

One job I remember vividly was three cases of cola (24 cans each case) to be delivered to Pret-le-Manger just outside Victoria Station before nine. With the van parked half on the kerb I scooped up all three cases and entered the building. Pret was on the third floor, not wanting to waste time and fall foul of the local traffic wardens I jogged up the three flights of stairs instead of waiting for the lift.

I arrived struggling for breath at the counter at 8:30am to be faced by an Itallian sounding dude polishing glasses..."No deliveries until nine" he insisted, I pointed out in my strongest Yorkshire accent that unless he signed for the goods, he would be wearing them....He promptly signed and I rushed back to my van and luckily found it just as I had left it, without the penalty notice that I was expecting.

I returned to the M1 the same way I had entered and took a break at the 'London Gateway' services, I always stopped there on my way home from the smoke, and relaxed back in my seat clutching a bacon sandwich and cup of tea, and considered - What just happened here?.....
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 12:50 PM

There is a tale that in the early 1960s when we still had a decent cotton industry in Lancashire, a few senior managers and directors went to an international conference in New York
They were a bit disapponted when they got to the venue and found out it was on one of the upper floors of a skyscraper

"Ne'er mind" said one, pointing to the lift; "we'll tek th'oist"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top