Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 10:37 AM

Re: Infinite Lesson Disruption

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Nobody would dare. Schools would forever be facing litigation and any teacher involved would be suspended.

Once had a parent complain because I did the unthinkable of keeping their beloved in break detention (but allowed them out early for a 5 mins toilet break). Apparently this was an infringement of his "human rights". Naturally the persistent harrassment that I and his other classmates had, which infringed my right to carry out my job and their right to be taught, wasn't accepted by the parents to mitigate the situation.
You may have gathered that that was the reason I left teaching at age 60. I was just sick and tired of parents (thankfully not all - there were some sensible ones) complaining, but then it was, latterly, quite a rough area.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Does in loco parentis not apply anymore? Some discipline has to allowed if a pupil is disrupting the class.
In loco parentis is often misinterpreted as in loco parentis
incompetentem in the case of such parents!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Does in loco parentis not apply anymore? Some discipline has to allowed if a pupil is disrupting the class.
As JBR suggests, it's the "parentis" bit that causes the problems.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 12:03 PM

I remember being advised by the careers advisory service prior to graduation to seriously consider teaching as a career.

I did.

For about 5 seconds.

One of my better decisions in life.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

26-08-2020, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I remember being advised by the careers advisory service prior to graduation to seriously consider teaching as a career.

I did.

For about 5 seconds.

One of my better decisions in life.
Yes. One of my biggest mistakes in life!
I should have stayed in radiography.
At least I get a decent pension!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Wen ah wer a lad, it wer throwin' a board rubber at the little bastards.

It produced an amazingly instantaneous result with a laudable additional outcome in that we children were brought up to respect our adults and authorities.
We used to get the rap across the knuckles with a ruler, it was almost worth it just to see the steam coming out of our geography teacher's ears.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Why on earth are children wearing masks? The evidence seems to be that children don't spread Covid.

All NSW schools (excluding Universities) have been back full time for ages. The problem has been keeping the parents separated before and after school.

I feel really sorry for the Year 12 students who will be missing out on their leaving activities after a terribly disrupted year. No schoolies week, no prom, no presentations, so sad for them at the end of their dozen years of education. What do they have to look forward to? High unemployment?
Dont you have sunshine & surf and koala bears Brucy?
And being students they can take a gap year and do anything that
they want??

Donkeyman! 👍😇😇👍
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2020, 11:36 PM

There was an interview this morning on the radio with some year 12 students from Bulli High School. They talked about being the class graduating in 2020 and was quite revealing. Certainly they had such a disrupted year and were really sad that their graduation was going to be such a truncated event with their parents only being able to watch it streamed on the Internet. There was mixed feelings about not having their school formals.

Instead of the mass gatherings on the Gold Coast for Schoolies Week (the border is shut) they were going in small groups camping in the bush or coastal towns in NSW.

The one thing that came across was how resilient they were. No worries about this generation but they will need that resilience facing the short to medium term future.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2020, 12:37 AM

Yes thanks for that Dextrous!!!

We have had no information yet but an Art room with masks sounda great to me
I speak little and get them "doing the skills perfection" most of the time anyway!

But at this rate I might have to teach Maths!!!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2020, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Yes thanks for that Dextrous!!!

We have had no information yet but an Art room with masks sounda great to me
I speak little and get them "doing the skills perfection" most of the time anyway!

But at this rate I might have to teach Maths!!!
Hi

We cannot deny our kids an education to protect us Oldies.

Absolutely Bloody Useless at Arts.

I am in utter awe of so many on here who are so, so, good at it.

People are different.

I can do Complex Maths in my head.

I am the ultimate boring Scientist.

So what?

It does not make me better than others.

Nobody has ever viewed my research and calculations and been in awe of them.

Many have been in awe of a painting, myself included.

That is a true talent, mine is just boring logic.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top