Join for free
Page 3 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2020, 03:14 PM

Re: Wonderful News! (Vaccination trials successful)

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Of course there will be 'ifs and buts' yet - it is a brand new discovery! And of course Jo Bloggs in the street won't be invited for it for a long time yet either.
It is more than anyone dare do to use it widespread until the trials are finished. (Unless you do what the Chinese are reported to be doing, and flogging it to Jo public at £45 a shot)!

However, I prefer to be quietly optimistic, rather condemning it automatically.
The Luddites are alive and well on here today Mups
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2020, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Great news that pharmaceutical company, Pfizer, in conjunction with a German pharmaceutical company, have discovered a vaccine that prevents catching Covid 19 by 90%.

Britain has pre-ordered 40 million doses (which will cover 20 million with 2 doses) which will be allocated first to front line staff and then vulnerable people.

Something to hope for, at last!
It is unusual for scientists to be so optimistic, at lunch time Sir John Bell, Regius Professor of Medicine at the University of Oxford said the announcement about the vaccine has been ''Warmly welcomed with scientists describing themselves as smiling "ear to ear" and some suggesting life could be back to normal by spring.
I am probably the first guy to say that, but I will say that with some confidence," said Sir John Bell,''

As you say SG the first lot of vaccine will (rightly) go to front line staff .
Other vaccines are well on the way with an announcement expected ''In weeks rather than months'' according to Professor Bell.

I heard weeks ago about secret preparations for a mass roll out in some local areas as mentioned here...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ngham-54375643

So I think we can all have cause for optimism .
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2020, 06:20 PM

Despite the wild optimism of some FMs here, many politicians and even some experts, I tend to agree with this lady:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-54869918

Dr Sophie Harman, global health expert at Queen Mary University London, says today's news from Pfizer is "incredibly exciting" and could be a "major game-changer" in our response to Covid-19.

She adds: "However before we get too carried away we really have to be careful about safety and scale around the vaccine, so whilst we can go with confidence, I don’t think we can go back to normal by Christmas or the New Year as I am sure everyone would hope.

“The other thing we have to think about a little bit is also who gets the vaccine and who gets the vaccine first. We know there's a priority among front-line health workers which is quite right - but how does that actually become enacted in practice?

"I think we also need to think about how we build trust, both in the UK and round the world around vaccines. Before Covid-19 there was a growth of anti-vaccination, of anti-vaxxers, and we need to crush that quite quickly if people are going to see an uptake in the vaccine.*

"Finally, I would also say there's a sort of tendency that when we get excited about vaccines is to think about vaccines as sort of silver bullet. And this cannot replace just the tried and tested methods of track and trace**, monitoring the outbreak, and changing our behaviour***.

"So it's extremely exciting, very hopeful, but let's not take our eye off the ball of the very basics of how we respond to health crises."
* AFAIK, for COVID-19, 70% of the population need to be vaccinated in short order so that so-called "herd immunity" is achieved. In the UK, that would be around 40,000,000 people.

** As we know, the record of the government's private sector T,T & T is appalling, despite having cost £12,000,000,000 - even "Incompetent" Harding admitted that the system was no "silver bullet".

** Again, as we know, many of the UK's population refuse to modify their behaviour and bend, or even break, the rules to suit themselves.

Other questions yet to be answered by ANY vaccine include how long does immunity last? does the vaccine work as well in high-risk elderly people?, does it stop you spreading the virus? or just from developing symptoms?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2020, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Great news that pharmaceutical company, Pfizer, in conjunction with a German pharmaceutical company, have discovered a vaccine that prevents catching Covid 19 by 90%.

Britain has pre-ordered 40 million doses (which will cover 20 million with 2 doses) which will be allocated first to front line staff and then vulnerable people.

Something to hope for, at last!
Good News!

Now, O.F.F

(old fogies first!) or OFF OFF (Over 50s forum + Old Fogies First)

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2020, 06:28 PM

Even BJ is cautious:

PM asks 'are we at the beginning of the end?'

Boris Johnson begins by saying that people are asking that "does the progress towards a vaccine made today mean we are at the beginning of the end to our troubles".

"We have cleared one significant hurdle but there are several more to go," he says.

But he adds if and when the vaccine is ready to be sued the UK is "towards the front of the pack" as it has already ordered 40 million doses.

There will be an NHS-led vaccine programme, Johnson says.

He adds he must stress that "these are very, very early days" and the distant toot of the scientific bugle is louder but still someway off.
No "Moonshot" in that statement .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

09-11-2020, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Good News!

Now, O.F.F

(old fogies first!) or OFF OFF (Over 50s forum + Old Fogies First)

The scientists on the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation previously published a list of prioritisation of who should get a jab first, with care home residents and staff among those at the top.

The interim guidance says the order of priority should be:
  • Older adults in a care home and care home workers
  • All those aged 80 and over and health and social care workers, though they may move up the list
  • Anyone 75 years of age and over
  • People aged 70 and over
  • All those aged 65 and over
  • High-risk adults under 65 years of age
  • Moderate-risk adults under 65 years of age
  • All those aged 60 and over
  • All those 55 and over
  • All those aged 50 and over
  • The rest of the population, with priority yet to be determined
But the committee stressed this list was "not considered definitive" as more data is still being collected on at-risk groups.
The younger you are, the longer the wait - there are currently more than 11.9 million people aged 65 and over in the UK, with 3.2 million aged 80 and over and 1.6 million aged 85 and over.

Once they and the front-line staff have had their two shots the 40,000,000 first order will have disppeared .....
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2020, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Did I condemn it .....

It seems, rather, that some FMs are far too quick to condemn ME .....
You were not very optimistic either Omah.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

09-11-2020, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
You were not very optimistic either Omah.
Of course not - my name's not Mr Gullible .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

09-11-2020, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
No cause for rejoicing just yet .....
Even BJ agrees with me:

Boris Johnson being deliberately cautious

Despite today’s positive vaccine announcement, the PM struck a deliberately cautious tone. Boris Johnson stressed that news of an effective vaccine was not yet a solution.

Number 10 clearly doesn’t want the suggestion of a scientific breakthrough to be any sort of green light for people to flout lockdown rules at what he described as a critical moment.

The PM has been among the most optimistic – perhaps hopeful - in the past about science providing the way out of this pandemic. But the message today was, 'we’re not there yet', calling instead for the public to keep their resolve.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2020, 07:13 PM

This vaccine is great news. This news will give the nation the boost that it needs at the moment.
Boris, had to be careful in what he said, that’s why he stayed ‘on the wall’ about it.

Page 3 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top