Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2021, 04:53 PM

Re: Losing "ambiance" because of brexit?

I think we ought to enlighten Solly on how our commercial apple farmers actually harvest their crops these days. They don't need that many people to hand pick the apples, they use special machines to shake them out of the trees and then sweep them up into tractor drawn trailers.

There are a number of videos on YouTube about this. Here's just one of them:
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2021, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I think we ought to enlighten Solly on how our commercial apple farmers actually harvest their crops these days. They don't need that many people to hand pick the apples, they use special machines to shake them out of the trees and then sweep them up into tractor drawn trailers.

I remember the arguments I had about this a few years ago.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2021, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I remember the arguments I had about this a few years ago.
Yeah, about harvesting hopp. You argued it couldn't be done mechanically, till I pointed out it is notable the UK that does.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2021, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->

You can always rely on you for a good laugh. Trust me percival, you don't want to eat apples harvested that way. If you had payed attention, you would have noticed it is for cider production.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2021, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
You can always rely on you for a good laugh. Trust me percival, you don't want to eat apples harvested that way. If you had payed attention, you would have noticed it is for cider production.
And you still have to admit you lied about your "fruit is rotting on the trees" claim that you cannot substantiate.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2021, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
And you still have to admit you lied about your "fruit is rotting on the trees" claim that you cannot substantiate.
Why would you think that. Perhaps the shoe is on the other foot 🤥

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...away-ctsdvtbsw
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2021, 08:11 AM

Hi

Solasch, I miss my Polish friends, but we had to leave.

The good thing is that wages are rising.

I do not mind paying a bit more to give people a decent standard of living.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2021, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Solasch, I miss my Polish friends, but we had to leave.

The good thing is that wages are rising.

I do not mind paying a bit more to give people a decent standard of living.
Average wages are indeed rising but that has to be considered with the huge reduction in low paid hospitality jobs which are no longer counted. It’s unclear what the full effect of this is on the average but it would certainly raise it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top