Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2021, 08:55 PM

Re: The Automobile, friend or foe?

Originally Posted by Dachs ->
Neither friend nor foe, I'd say, but individual mobility has become a necessity to some extent for which a car is not needed, though, except in rural areas. What you wrote about "the good old days" sounds a bit romanticised to me and is not due to the spread of automobiles alone.
"Healthier, slimmer, fitter"? Doesn't life expectancy at that time tell us a different story? Didn't people drop like flies?
"Fresh grown food"? In summer perhaps for those living in rural areas but it was not what we'd call a variety of fruit and vegetables. In winter people were starving and had a very monotonous diet that was not fresh at all. I'd say people had to work and shop locally and, thus, were also heavily dependent on employers and traders and at their mercy. I'm not in favour of applying the survival of the fittest- concept to human society. We had that once and the consequences are known.

The concentration process in the retail sector was not only caused by the automobile but would have happened anyway. The next big step in that process is online trading which was not induced by the automobile either.
The changes in life-style that you outlined were chiefly a result of the development of society with more and more capital being available and making inventions and changes possible but also of people's convenience and expectations.

I agree that big changes will be unavoidable and ought to be implemented very soon. One element of that can be buying locally wherever possible. Why would apples have to be shipped all around the globe from NZ if they can be provided by local farmers? Would consumers be ready to accept ugly or less standardised food in this case so that we take a step closer to an environmentally sustainable food supply chain? Why would beer brewed in the north of a country also have to be offered in the south transported there by lorries? "Because we want it that way and there's a demand for it", people might say. Here it is again: people's attitude and expectations.
As for individual mobility, if it's to be maintained and I agree it is, then we need to find ways of reducing the carbon footprint. A mix of using electric cars, public transport, or e-bikes/bicycles besides conventional cars seems to be the solution for the foreseeable future.
There are plenty of things we can do to provide locally Dachs, our love of out of season foods must stop, it's just ridiculous shipping food halfway around the world, it's an expensive luxury we can do without. There are changes to society that did not originate from the rise of the motor car. But I believe most major changes were attributed to the private car hence this thread. Like it or not though, we can not continue down this path, congested roads, pollution and the energy wasted sourcing materials, building vehicles, and the fuel used driving them. There are some major changes coming concerning personal transport, it's something that we can no longer afford, both environmentally and financially.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2021, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The Automobile, friend or foe?
I've just bought a bike, which I am hoping to spend many a happy hour riding when I finally make the break and retire. The trouble is, riding on the road scares me to death. So, from my point of view as a prospective cyclist, the automobile is my enemy. The fewer there are on the roads, the better, as far as I'm concerned.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2021, 09:43 PM

definately a friend. If I had not got one my next door neighbour some years ago would have died. His ladder slipped while cleaning an upstairs window and his hand went through the glass severing a good portion of his wrist.
Luckily i was there when it happened in my front garden. Cutting the story short on reaching the hospital i was told later on that another 5/10 minutes he would have died. Without my car and driving like an idiot!!!!!!!
He had 8 hours of surgery and umpteen pints of blood. The car was a life saver
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2021, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
I've just bought a bike, which I am hoping to spend many a happy hour riding when I finally make the break and retire. The trouble is, riding on the road scares me to death. So, from my point of view as a prospective cyclist, the automobile is my enemy. The fewer there are on the roads, the better, as far as I'm concerned.
One of the reasons my bike is languishing up in the loft Harbal, it was becoming a nightmare out on the roads, and Mrs Fox getting knocked off her bike and seriously injured didn't help..... There is the possibility that I might ride again when it get too much of a struggle to run, hence the bike still being in the loft and not flogged, but I fear Mrs Fox will never ride again.....
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2021, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
definately a friend. If I had not got one my next door neighbour some years ago would have died. His ladder slipped while cleaning an upstairs window and his hand went through the glass severing a good portion of his wrist.
Luckily i was there when it happened in my front garden. Cutting the story short on reaching the hospital i was told later on that another 5/10 minutes he would have died. Without my car and driving like an idiot!!!!!!!
Congratulations on being a hero, realspeed, but if your neighbour would stop going up ladders when he is obviously incompetent, and pay a window cleaner, you wouldn't need to be polluting the atmosphere with your car.

PS. give my regards to your neighbour.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2021, 10:00 PM

Congratulations on being a hero, realspeed, but if your neighbour would stop going up ladders when he is obviously incompetent, and pay a window cleaner, you wouldn't need to be polluting the atmosphere with your car.

PS. give my regards to your neighbour.
He has since passed away, this was 30 years ago but a life episode one does not forget. No hero just an on the spot reaction to save a life
Harbal
South Yorkshire

22-05-2021, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I fear Mrs Fox will never ride again.....
That's a shame, Foxy, but no one could blame her.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

22-05-2021, 10:02 PM

He had 8 hours of surgery and umpteen pints of blood. The car was a life saver
Had you not had a vehicle and he would have died it would have been terrible realspeed, but what about all those people who died in similar circumstances before anyone had personal transport? All the lives saved since we all have mobile phones, there must have been millions of people who died when a mobile phone would have saved them? What about all the people who are still dying because nobody knew how to administer CPR..? We all do our best to save a life but we can only do that with our limited resources...You neighbour was lucky but not a reason to make a personal vehicle essential.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

22-05-2021, 10:04 PM

He has since passed away
So it was all for nothing. It sounds like he was determined to die, one way or another.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

22-05-2021, 10:05 PM

That's a shame, Foxy, but no one could blame her.
Thanks Harbal....

Perhaps we could ride together someday Harbal.....

Perhaps have a run down to the midlands and meet up with Spitty?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top