Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 07:59 AM

Re: Indoor digital TV ariel.

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Well that's that job sorted out. Installed a new digital aerial yesterday on a pole bolted to the wall of the house - no more fuzzy pictures

While I was at it, I relocated my incoming broadband connection to the back of the TV (new location of router) along with the new aerial lead and Ethernet running to my PC in the dining room/office. Can now plug my PVR, Blu-ray player and computer into different sockets on the route rather than the network switcher I was using before.

While I was under the floor, I noticed that it was very wet and further investigation showed that an elbow had come off the plastic waste-pipe from the bathroom wash-hand basin. Sorted that out too. All in all, a very productive day.
Be careful Judd sensitive info about being handy round the house should not be talked about on a forum like this.

There iz wimmin here.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 08:40 AM

I'm sure an indoor aerial wouldn't work in our location. I had to amplify the Freeview signal from a roof aerial before feeding the output into a distribution amplifier for routing TV signal to the rooms in the house. Being in a bungalow with the aerial pointing into trees didn't help but the signal rarely fades I'm pleased to say.

All the factors that Uncle Joe mentioned are pretty accurate regarding the use of indoor aerials. I know that amplified indoor aerials are available and these might be better that ones that don't have amplification but then again, if the conditions aren't right, no type of indoor aerial will give reliable sound and vision.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 09:03 AM

Thanks folks, im not overlooked but have buildings nearby, there is a transmitter too the South of me so im hoping it will be ok, and yes i will go for a amplified ariel.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 10:41 AM

As mentioned, I think it really does depend on your location. We are mid-way between two signals so it sort of moves in and out. I got one for our small tv upstairs which is freeview but it is a bit hit and miss as to what appears on screen.

Funny though Judd because our cat knocked the ariel behind a filing cabinet and the picture was the best ever.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I'm sure an indoor aerial wouldn't work in our location. I had to amplify the Freeview signal from a roof aerial before feeding the output into a distribution amplifier for routing TV signal to the rooms in the house. Being in a bungalow with the aerial pointing into trees didn't help but the signal rarely fades I'm pleased to say.

All the factors that Uncle Joe mentioned are pretty accurate regarding the use of indoor aerials. I know that amplified indoor aerials are available and these might be better that ones that don't have amplification but then again, if the conditions aren't right, no type of indoor aerial will give reliable sound and vision.
Mine works just fine.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 04:20 PM

my Father lived in a basement flat in Bow (London). Back in the analogue TV days, he used an indoor aerial and it worked fairly well. The picture wasn't 'snowy' at all. The Ghosting he got was bad though. He probably wouldn't have got away with that on a digital transmission without picture and sound break-up.

When I worked for Radio Rentals, patients who had their own room in the local hospital would sometimes rent a TV on a short-term basis. The hospital didn't have an aerial system in those days and the poor old engineer (me quite often) had to try and get a signal by wandering around the room with an indoor aerial.

The signal came from London and we were right on the fringe. Also on the fringe for Southern TV from the Isle of Wight. An engineer could spend ages on a job like that.

The Hannington transmitter opened some time later and that solved a lot of weak signal problems. There were still places that couldn't get a decent signal though. 'Snowy picture' remained one of the most complained about faults.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Be careful Judd sensitive info about being handy round the house should not be talked about on a forum like this.

There iz wimmin here.
Is it too late to delete my post?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

07-08-2018, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Is it too late to delete my post?
Fraid so, you are Wimmins most wanted now.
bendigo69
New Member!
Nottingham UK
bendigo69 is male 

06-09-2018, 08:21 PM

if you have broadband then just get yourself an Amazon Firestick and you wont need any other aerial..Plug the Firestick into the back of the tv and to the mains and follow the instructions.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by bendigo69 ->
if you have broadband then just get yourself an Amazon Firestick and you wont need any other aerial..Plug the Firestick into the back of the tv and to the mains and follow the instructions.
That won't give you Freeview, just the catchup channels, a few free ones if you can find them, plus lots of subscription services.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top