Join for free
Page 257 of 370 « First < 157 207 247 255 256 257 258 259 267 307 357 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2019, 05:58 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Bob mate, I know I've told you before but you're a true inspiration to others. More than that though, you relay your posts in very necessary detail which could really help people who are suffering rather strange health issues which may well be leading to a full-on heart attack unbeknown to them. I just hope members who don't normally enter this thread do read these posts of yours.
Seriously gotta meet up with you sometime this summer matey
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2019, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Bob mate, I know I've told you before but you're a true inspiration to others. More than that though, you relay your posts in very necessary detail which could really help people who are suffering rather strange health issues which may well be leading to a full-on heart attack unbeknown to them. I just hope members who don't normally enter this thread do read these posts of yours.
Seriously gotta meet up with you sometime this summer matey
Thanks Floydy It would be great to meet up....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2019, 11:49 PM

Such a thoroughly enjoyable read, OGF, and an important reminder how important it is not to give up after a setback.

Unreal distances - after a heart attack. That's not just a body made for running, but hard work and dedication.

The humidity and temperatures were at the 85 mark (percentage and degrees F), which made for challenging conditions, but I did my part and ran six miles. Whew!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the comments Surfermom and well done on that six. Humidity is not a runners friend, heavy limbs, copious amounts of sweat [perspiration in your case Surfermom...] and dehydration. I've always felt that the moist air going into your lungs is not as efficient at carrying oxygen.

2013 is about as far as I've gone with my experiences but I think I should bring it up to date being as a lot happened since then. I knew very little about my grandparents and great grandparents, it would be nice to leave a little something for future generations, providing there will be 'Future Generations' after the increasing speed we seem to be hurtling to our own destruction, or is it just me unable to predict the future...

A rest day today, but with the sun shining and temperatures reaching 10*C a visit to the local surgery will incorporate a walk down a scenic route....About three or four miles...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 05:32 PM

Monday 18/2/19: “7’s” (light-heavy-light) (7sets) 1hr.40mins.
(All weights in kgs)

Back into it after a few days, and I decided on an upper body session taken from my 7-set programme of events which I began in December. Each time I do my routines I amend some of the figures to reflect any increases in weight or reps and those have been noted within today’s exercises.
One problem I do have with this particular routine is that it takes so long to carry out and on a Monday this isn’t really suitable as I tend to rush through things too much and omit three exercises as work beckons later on and I’d run out of time.

With this in mind, I’ll be changing this routine to a more straightforward and manageable five set programme from next time. This doesn’t mean that I’ll be skimping on weight as I’ll be taking one set out of the mid-range increasing weight and the other from the final two higher rep routines. So in effect, there will be more of a poundage ‘gap’ between the sets which will make it in turn more difficult and will therefore ‘shock’ the muscles more into submission! I.e. more tension involved and only one cool down set at the end, which will also increase in weight. My maximum weight (currently Set #5) will be heavier too, in fact I’ll go as heavy as possible on this set. All good fun!

Arm curl, both arms:
15x30, 15x35, 12x40, 10x45, 9x50
15x35, 16x25

Smith flat bench press:
15x35, 12x45, 8x55, 6x55, 4x75
13x40, 15x30
*On the final cool-down sets I used a close-grip on the bar which puts more tension on the triceps, keeping the arms closer to the sides.

Lat pulldown, underarm grip:
20x35, 15x45, 10x55, 8x65, 6x75
10x50, 16x30

Lying DB fly, incline/flat* bench:
(totals for 2xdumbbells)
12x24, 10x28, 8x32, 6x36*, 5x40*
10x28*, 12x30*

Shoulder press:
12x30, 10x45, 8x55, 7x65, 6x75
8x60, 12x35
*Really strong with this exercise for a change. I was getting worried I was losing strength in my shoulders but I could have probably added another 10-15 kgs to the maximum set there, which I will attempt next week.

E-Z preacher curl:
12x28, 12x33, 10x38, 8x43, 7x48
15x28, 15x18
*Super strong in the biceps, I could have lifted quite a bit more but these exercises were already determined from last time so I didn’t want to change my planning. New weights will be annotated for next week though where I’ll be approaching 60kg hopefully which is quite a decent weight lifted only by curling the biceps.

Seated row:
15x41, 12x47, 10x53, 8x59, 8x65
12x47, 20x35

Tricep extensions:
25x35, 15x45, 12x55, 10x65, 10x75
18x50, 35x30
*Like my biceps, my triceps are also rocketing in power at the moment, which I’m putting down to the tension training I was doing over the past couple of weeks. Fair size increase too and although that isn’t really my parameter these days, it’s good to know that it can still be achieved. I dread the day when I start losing muscle naturally!

Bob – I forgot to reply to a point you made about “Dynamic Tension” bud. That brings back memories when I started out when I was a skinny 10.5 stone teenager at 6’4” tall, which is puny!! No chest at all and arms about 12" in circumference. Well I used to have a Bullworker (remember those?) and a chest expander, together with my first ever set of dumbbells which weighed a tiny 5kgs each. None of this really made much difference to my physique at the age of 16 but we all start somewhere! (I remember even lying underneath my bed and pushing it up like a bench press too! Those primitive days indeed. Fast forward twenty years to my mid-thirties and I ended up at my ‘peak’ at 17-stone packed full of muscle with a 46" chest and arms approaching 20" round pumped up (still the same height though lol).

Those formulative years!

Tomorrow I’ll be doing a full-on tension training session on the legs featuring some pretty large increases in weight from last time, my legs being in great shape at the moment.

Thanks for reading
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

18-02-2019, 08:17 PM

Thanks Floydy, and yes I remember the Bullworker and chest expander....Are you saying I would have wasted my money if I'd purchased them?....Being an engineer in those days I made myself some barbells at 115 lbs....I bet you carry more loose change in your pocket than that Floydy....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 06:57 AM

I would knock myself out with some of those contraptions, Floydy! Funny how I worried about chest development for altogether different reasons .

Now as for your set modification, I can see how removing the middle range would work, but why not do middle and heavy? Might you be risking injury with too much increase?

Since you mentioned shoulders, how are they doing after all these years? It seems that my fellow surfers suffer more from shoulder injuries than any other joint problems.

OGF, not only are you a remarkable athlete, you are a superb writer. I can't think of anything better than maintaining your writing. I sure hope you are leaving hard copies too just in case. You are so, so right - I never, ever sweat .

All the world was throwing Monday obstacles in the way of my running today. Even nature was sending a gray, chilly, northern blast to try to shut me down. I would have nothing of it though and hauled out the Arctic gear to make a steady, but slow go of it. Nothing to write home about, but I did manage 4.5 miles.

I am a sloth.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

19-02-2019, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Floydy, and yes I remember the Bullworker and chest expander....Are you saying I would have wasted my money if I'd purchased them?....Being an engineer in those days I made myself some barbells at 115 lbs....I bet you carry more loose change in your pocket than that Floydy....
Not wasted money, Bob but weights have been proven to be more effective and the results appear much more quickly. Each to their own though and as I posted those pics it seems all of those "contraptions" are still available to teens everywhere. Good starting equipment though if I used one now I'd probably pull the things apart

As for the barbells. That's some weight actually. I guess you got a bar of round mild steel and made the ends using some kind of grinding tool and welded it all together? Sounds interesting
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

19-02-2019, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Now as for your set modification, I can see how removing the middle range would work, but why not do middle and heavy? Might you be risking injury with too much increase?

Since you mentioned shoulders, how are they doing after all these years? It seems that my fellow surfers suffer more from shoulder injuries than any other joint problems.

All the world was throwing Monday obstacles in the way of my running today. Even nature was sending a gray, chilly, northern blast to try to shut me down. I would have nothing of it though and hauled out the Arctic gear to make a steady, but slow go of it. Nothing to write home about, but I did manage 4.5 miles.

I am a sloth.
Aww you're no sloth, Suzie. Quite the opposite. You are a very durable and determined athlete to brave that cold and inclement weather. Well done

My shoulders get the occasional niggle but since I've been strengthening them by using the 'fly delt dec', I'm feeling less in the way of pain. Still cautious every time I do shoulder work though.

And just going back to your mention about my revamp of the "7's" routine into a 5-set fixture, I've spread the weight out more liberally to ensure a more gradual increase rather than bang too much on suddenly, which as you say could cause injury.
All ready to go next week

Thank you both for your comments, they are very worthwhile and I appreciate your interest greatly

To confirm then, it's a resistance tension session for the legs today. If it's anything like last week's routine it will be a killer! With increases in weight made to my template, the plans are all but sealed. Back later
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

19-02-2019, 04:02 PM

Tuesday 19/2/19: Tension Training: Legs 55mins.
(All weights in kgs)

Usual routine for this paused resistance work I’m currently “enjoying” – that word partly uttered tongue in cheek as although it’s extremely effective it’s also bloody brutal! My legs are in taters after this marmalising. On the other hand the gains are definitely outweighing the pain and torture, my legs ending up very powerful and looking really fit. It also helps my knees and my lower back so it’s gotta be worthwhile in some kind of agonising way!

Today then, more weight added from last time, same set of exercises bar the prone leg curls which are definitely not ideal for the back.

Incline leg press:
25x180 - pause - 15x180 –p- 12x180
15x270 – p – 8x270
8x320
50x150 high reps
*Immediately jumping onto the incline press adding a rather startling 90kgs for the second set, which went surprising well, pushing up the quads quite casually. The final set’s post-300kg (320kg in fact) poundage was a different matter though – very strenuous indeed but I still managed eight reps, the quad muscles in my thighs bursting out all over the place! Plus, to cap it all a quickfire 50 at 150 for the high reps. Climbing off this machine my legs were like jelly and this was only the first exercise

Seated ham curls:
20x40 – p – 15x40 – p – 10x40
10x60 – 6x60
7x70
50x30 high reps
*Back of the legs pushing out like girders on this!

Sled press:
25x160 – p – 15x160 – p – 12x160
20x200 – p – 12x200
15x200
50x130 high reps
*Just wish this stack-weight machine went higher than 200kgs, but hey ho that’s was the incline press is for!

Extensions:
20x50 – p - 7x50 stopped
15x80 – 6x80
7x100
25x40
*I actually faltered on the first set here. I leapt onto it far too soon after the sled press and my legs just were not rested enough and I failed at 7 reps after the first pause, discarding the third push entirely such is my eagerness to pummel the weights. My top quads just couldn’t take it. I made up for it with the remaining sets though.

Adductor:
25x60

Abductor:
25x60

All in all a pretty extreme workout, my legs begging for mercy but I know they will grow back to normal (and more) in a few days’ time.
That’s it for training now until Friday when I’ll be doing a long session featuring the “40-30-20-10” routine of light weights/high reps I haven’t done for a couple of weeks, this time involving a full body workout. Should be fun

Thanks for reading

Page 257 of 370 « First < 157 207 247 255 256 257 258 259 267 307 357 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top