Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2013, 11:38 AM

Thinking of LED TV

We have an old Hitachi CRT TV which has given 16 years of excellent, trouble-free service but we are considering going for a new LED TV because although ours was "Digital-Ready" it cannot cope really with the wider screen broadcasts - so we get the edges cut off and it's getting irritating now and we cannot use the screen adjustment either.

We get disembodied hands of presenters waving from the left or right and I often have no chance of lip-reading at all!

I need subtitles for everything now though and I'm beginning to think that our TV's decoder is not good enough for the job.

My problem is I know nothing of modern TVs so I don't know what to look for.

We are with SKY and it's quite expensive now but switching to HD Broadcasts is even more expensive I think so we're not that bothered about HD but we want something that will "do us" for a while because this, for us will be a hefty purchase when we have had to cut back constantly this year so far and it looks like things are not about to improve in the short term!

I'd like some advice from anyone that has experience of a 720p HD-Ready TV we've been looking at this morning or an alternative perhaps; we're looking at 32".

Our current set-up has all SCART sockets, (DVD, VHS, Hi-Fi Feed & SKY), so I already know that I'll have to get a "break-out" SCART box to connect everything.

As far as I can tell not many LED TVs have Phono Jack Audio Output, which I will also need for my new Infra-Red Neck Loop System, although I do have a SCART adapter for it if that's the only way.

Apart from that, all we want or need is a decent picture and good sound quality for my wife and of course guests.
We don't want or need HD or Smart TVs but the TV we looked at this morning is under £200 and it's a make that I trust - Sharp. stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2013, 11:45 AM

Re: Thinking of LED TV

HD stands for 'hype definition' - see no advantage to that .....
We have an LCD 32 inch its an LG model. Great picture and sound .....
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2013, 12:29 PM

We have a 32in and it's quite big enough for us. I also have HD but we very rarely switch on to it as I cannot see any difference.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2013, 12:30 PM

My son has a HD television, the picture is sharper but I don't think it makes a lot of difference .

I have a 32inch Panasonic which is quite big enough for me.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2013, 01:28 PM

We have a 32" Samsung which we bought before the changeover to digital. The picture quality is excellent...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2013, 03:32 PM

We have a 32" Techwood, it was very cheap, it takes 3 or 4 goes on the remote to switch on, it changes channel when it likes (may be next door doing it) changes from scart to other sources right at the exciting bits! In other words, I wish we could have afforded a better one!
Before this one we had my daughter's back-lit one for a while, you couldn't see anything on it if you got closer than about 4ft or from the side!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2013, 05:16 PM

Sound like the 32" Sharp one from Richer Sounds is a good deal then - £50 cheaper than John Lewis BUT a 5 year guarantee costs £19.95 - but it's still cheaper than JL!

Going over to look tomorrow. stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2013, 05:27 PM

Let us know how you get on with it Steve, we like sharp products, but have no idea on their TVs ......
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

01-11-2013, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Let us know how you get on with it Steve, we like sharp products, but have no idea on their TVs ......
Will-do Patsy. stevmk2
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2013, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Sound like the 32" Sharp one from Richer Sounds is a good deal then - £50 cheaper than John Lewis BUT a 5 year guarantee costs £19.95 - but it's still cheaper than JL!

Going over to look tomorrow. stevmk2

Most of the new sets have a USB port, they are great for showing videos and photos from your computer on your big screen, a memory stick or external hard drive just slot in, no messing about with wires and special connectors, you can also record on it off the TV, it's a bonus if the one you're getting has one on it, mine is a Nordmende 40" and it cost 250 Euro's, I trust Nordmende, I have been using their TV sets for a long time and got great value from them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top