Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2014, 07:35 PM

Re: Windows 8

I also had XP but now on W7.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 10:33 PM

Revisiting this thread as I have now downloaded windows 8.1 I have had a couple of black screen things, not very technical as you can see, one was whole screen and another was a band across the screen, gone now but just wondering what it could be
Anyone have any idea? Anyone experienced this..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2014, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Revisiting this thread as I have now downloaded windows 8.1 I have had a couple of black screen things, not very technical as you can see, one was whole screen and another was a band across the screen, gone now but just wondering what it could be
Hi Jennifer I had a similar problem and had a message which I can't now remember I got an upgrade of some kind from the Microsoft website .
ETA sorry to sound so vague, I am not very technologically minded and just muddle along ...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2014, 12:54 AM

I think you will find that is just the operating system warning that what you do next will change your computer and it is going to ask you to confirm that you want it to continue. It was brought in with WIN 7 I think.

As you are installing an upgrade and you know its source then you just click 'yes'.

It should happen when you install any program or upgrade downloaded from the web (am not sure if it applies to programs installed from disk, it may well but I don't know for sure).
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2014, 09:52 AM

I much prefer windows 7 or XP - 8 is horrible and I'm not that technically minded so am going to have a stab at 8.1, as Meg says it can't be any worse!
I have Windows 8.1 - no problems at all
greg
nottingham-Derby Border
greg is male  greg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2014, 10:23 AM

i had v8,but it was horrible i thought but then again ive only just mastered win7 ultimate and thats what ill be sticking with for now,does everything i want,hasnt crashed in over two years now so seems stable enough.
win8 seems to be very dumbed down to me,yet at the same time concentrating on stuff i dont need,same reason i dont have a fancy mobile phone,simply dont need all that facebook etc rubbish.
still i spose they have to bring out new stuff so they can carry on making money.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2014, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by greg ->
i had v8,but it was horrible i thought but then again ive only just mastered win7 ultimate and thats what ill be sticking with for now,does everything i want,hasnt crashed in over two years now so seems stable enough.
win8 seems to be very dumbed down to me,yet at the same time concentrating on stuff i dont need,same reason i dont have a fancy mobile phone,simply dont need all that facebook etc rubbish.
still i spose they have to bring out new stuff so they can carry on making money.

That's true - but Windows 8.1 is an improvement on Windows 8
They asked if I wanted to switch over - so I did
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2014, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by greg ->
I tend to agree with you about WIN7 V WIN8 but I use a Windows 8 computer at my Seniors club and once you get used to it everything you are used to in 7 is to be found in 8. It is just not as intuitive as 7 and personally I shall be waiting for WIN10 before I upgrade. Like Vista you get used to it.

As for mobile phones I disagree with you. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and would be lost without the internet, the maps, the GPS, the shopping list, the diary, the bus/train timetable, the camera, radio, the alarm clock, the ATM finder, the calculator, the torch, my emails, the bush fire warnings, the internet hotspot, the traffic updates and so much more that it enables me to carry about in my pocket. Even better I can make phone calls with it and use Facebook too.

Wouldn't leave home without it.
greg
nottingham-Derby Border
greg is male  greg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2014, 01:53 PM

i san see your point on the fones,being in breadland,all that space etc,i would imagine distances to everything being a lot larger than here.
here,im very rarely far enough away from anything to need a portable life in a box/survivel jobbie.
i have no need of internet really,could happily live without it i think,i visit all my friends/gf's etc so rarely need messaging/emails etc and my fone is ,well a fone,so i can still call if needed.plus it has the time/alarm clock,radio though never use that.(and a TORCH!!! tada!)
dont need gps,we have panels on sticks here,we call them roadsigns,quite useful sometimes.
dont need timetables,i have a bike.
shopping list?..i just get to shop and make it up as i go.
atm finder,we have them at every multstore and bank,postoffices and petrol stations.no shortage of those here.
bush fire warnings,hmm,unsure about that,havent actually ever seen a bush on fire so probably not that important for me.
traffic updates arent needed,every major road in britain is a carpark during commuter hours and most other roads are so full of potholes everything on them is moving very slowly anyway.
plus i have a bike,so anything flat and ridable on, is fair game.

cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2014, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Jennifer I had a similar problem and had a message which I can't now remember I got an upgrade of some kind from the Microsoft website .
ETA sorry to sound so vague, I am not very technologically minded and just muddle along ...
Hi Meg, touch wood, it seems to be ok now - may have needed to be switched off last night and then on again today...
Patsy, I don't think 8.1 can be worse than 8 - I'll soon find out..

Thanks all...

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top