Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2010, 12:58 PM

New versions of Avast! & Firefox

A couple of developments in the computer world that are maybe worth a mention:

1. Avast! 5 Free has been released. Also Avast! 5 Pro and an Avast! Security Suite. More information here;

http://www.avast.com/index

2. Firefox 3.6 has made the final release. Said to be faster than version 3.5. If you are a Firefox user but don't have the new version yet, open Firefox and go to 'Help > Check for Updates'. Or the latest version can be obtained here;

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/ (language version should be automatically detected).

Note: Some Firefox extensions might be incompatible with the latest version. Updates are likely to be along but may take a while.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2010, 05:06 PM

Re: New versions of Avast! & Firefox

Thanks for the update Mart!

Another good security package for the PC is www.comodo.com - their antivirus and firewall is free for home users
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2010, 05:21 PM

It is a good package Azz. I haven't got it installed at present (just fancied trying the new Norton for a year) but may well go back to Comodo.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2010, 05:41 PM

Sigh. I can't download Firefox 3, needs more than my OSX 10.2.8......
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

22-01-2010, 05:52 PM

Would it cost lots to upgrade that OS?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2010, 06:00 PM

I didn't know that could be done, I thought I'd need to buy a new computer ... which isn't on the books right now.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

22-01-2010, 06:19 PM

I could be wrong. I don't know too much about Macs but have read on computer forums about Mac owners upgrading their operating systems. Might be worth reading up on.

Edit: Hmm ..looks like you might be right. Could just ask in a local computer shop though:

https://macosx.com/tech-support/mac/...10-3/2070.html
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2010, 07:17 PM

I have the professional Windows xp and just upgraded mine with Norton. Is Norton ok!!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

22-01-2010, 08:38 PM

I've found Norton Internet Security OK. I started with NIS 2009 and it has now upgraded to NIS 2010. This has got another 58 days to go before it expires. I might renew.

Many people hate Norton but that feeling seems based on earlier versions of it. I think it's generally agreed by most reviewers that the 2009 and 2010 versions are a big step in the right direction.

Norton does pretty well for virus detection rates over at AV-Comparatives, an independent tester. Fairly well with Virus Bulletin as well. Light on computer resources too, unlike earlier versions of Norton by all accounts.

I don't rely on it entirely but have been pretty happy with the way it's been.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I've found Norton Internet Security OK. I started with NIS 2009 and it has now upgraded to NIS 2010. This has got another 58 days to go before it expires. I might renew.

Many people hate Norton but that feeling seems based on earlier versions of it. I think it's generally agreed by most reviewers that the 2009 and 2010 versions are a big step in the right direction.

Norton does pretty well for virus detection rates over at AV-Comparatives, an independent tester. Fairly well with Virus Bulletin as well. Light on computer resources too, unlike earlier versions of Norton by all accounts.

I don't rely on it entirely but have been pretty happy with the way it's been.
Thanks so much, it's probably not the best but it's the virus protection that I am most concerned about. I only give my credit card numbers out to a very choice few.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top