Join for free
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2010, 07:55 AM

New computers

After much deliberation, we have decided to replace our slow and ageing computers. I find it hard to spend money but we don't go on holidays these days, or live the high-life, so I've justified spending the cash by saying that to myself.

Anyway, decided not to replace them with any particular make but went to a local computer builder to have them built to requirements. That way, you get to chat about what's the best motherboard and graphics card, how much RAM goes in etc. I had thought about building the computers myself but decided that a builder knows what goes with what. Also, I've been a long time out of having anything to do with electronics hardware.

I'd already bought two Windows 7 installation disks at £45-00 each earlier this year when the Microsoft pre-release offer was on. I knew the time would come when they would be needed.

The computers will be ready for collection some time next week. Installing the operating system and other software is down to me. Hours of endless fun.

Mrs mart's current computer is a laptop. We didn't spend much when buying it because we didn't think it would be used much. Turns out that was wrong, Although she isn't really into computers, online socializing etc., she does need a reasonable computer for craftwork related purposes (video tutorials for instance). The laptop boots really slowly too, despite my best efforts. It's just a low specification computer.

Not getting a laptop this time. There'll be less desk space taken up if she has only a monitor and keyboard on the desk and the computer itself underneath it.

The specification is:

* Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz processor.
* Asus P5QPL-AM G41 motherboard with Intel onboard graphics.
* 4 gigabytes of RAM.
* DVD/CD writer.
* 250 GB hard drive.
* Small sized keyboard.
* Viewsonic 19" 1680x1050 monitor (we already had that).

My computer:

* Intel Core 2 Quad 2.5 GHz processor.
* Asus P5Q-em motherboard.
* 4 gigabytes of RAM.
* DVD/CD writer.
* 500 GB hard drive.
* Quiet processor cooling fan.
* Radeon HD3850 (1GB onboard memory) graphics card.
* Dell 22" monitor with webcam and microphones.

My current computer was bought from Ebay (again built to requirements) and has worked well for eight years with only a power supply going wrong. I can only hope the new computers will run as well as this one has.

Time to start backing everything up.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2010, 05:55 PM

Re: New computers

Nice one Mart - although I'd say you'd have no problem building your own.. it's actually not that difficult at all I've built 3 or 4 in the past.

Let us know how you get on with them, specs seem good
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2010, 03:33 PM

Re: New computers

I've been into computers since they invented the PC way back in 1978. My first was an IBM PC with 2 5.25 floppy drives, 256K of memory, an RGB 13" monitor and an Epson FX100 dot matrix printer. That cost me $4800 and was deducted with time payments from my paycheck.

I now own 3 computers, a monster desktop with quad core extreme Intel processor wit 8 GB of Ram, a top notch NVidea graphics card with plenty of video memory, a wireless mouse, Wacom Bamboo Tablet & wireless keyboard, two 500GB hard drives and a 37" LCD hi-def Toshiba monitor with a home theater Onkyo surround sound system.

So with all that horsepower what do I use 90% of the time? My trusty Toshiba 15" Satellite laptop. LOL

I also have an Acer Aspire One netbook that I put by the throne in my bathroom. Everything is connected via a wi-fi network. I live in a 182 Square Foot studio Apartment.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top