Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2010, 02:45 PM

Filthy tower

I built this system for a friend of mine two years ago, .. he phoned the other day to say it would'nt boot up so I collected ir and took it home, . . I could'nt believe the amount of dust inside, . . his house isn't like this I hasten to add, . . but PC's are notorious for this, they have 2 fans drawing air into the tower case and dust floats as you know.

I don't know how the CPU didn't burn out, he's very lucky indeed.

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2010, 02:55 PM

Re: Filthy tower

That's amazing!
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2010, 03:08 PM

I call my PC `Quentin` I buggar it with with a cigar ash but the dust only goes so far you know.

And if it fails I have this nice chap who wipes my drives and cleans my memory.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
That's amazing!
It is Mags, . . it only takes a minute to clean it out with a hoover, . . the side is only held on with2 philips screws, . . if it hadn't shut down it could've cost him a new CPU and maybe more, .. the silver heat sink fins below the central fan in the photo cool the graphics chip and that's expensive if it burns out, . . a new motherboard would be required coz they don't make separate graphics boards no more.
nero
Central Scotland

12-02-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
I call my PC `Quentin` I buggar it with with a cigar ash but the dust only goes so far you know.

And if it fails I have this nice chap who wipes my drives and cleans my memory.
ooooer, . . do you have a filthy memory OG, . .
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2010, 03:16 PM

I'm glad I no longer have a tower after seeing that!

My Mac is 6" x 6" x 2.5" with no visible gaps for the dust to get in
nero
Central Scotland

12-02-2010, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I'm glad I no longer have a tower after seeing that!

My Mac is 6" x 6" x 2.5" with no visible gaps for the dust to get in
But it does Mags, . . my wife's friend was in tears just before xmas, . . she has Toshiba lappy, it kept crashing after only a couple of minutes, . . the wife brought it down and I took off the back panel and the fan and air duct to it were dusty which was restricting the air flow to the CPU, . . a quick brush and blow did the trick, . . it been working great ever since.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2010, 03:27 PM

That must remain between myself and long destroyed hard drives!!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

12-02-2010, 03:31 PM

As far as I'm aware the Mac computer is sealed and you can't get in to it ......... someone more genned up on Macs can correct me if I'm wrong
nero
Central Scotland

12-02-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->

That must remain between myself and long destroyed hard drives!!

. . you norty man you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top