Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2015, 10:47 PM

Re: PC or laptop that is the question?

I usually get my computers built by a small independent local shop. I know roughly what they make out of me but then they have to order the bits, put them together and guarantee the whole computer for a year. It's also somewhere local to run the computer back to if any hardware does go wrong. I realise this is rare but all in all, not a bad price for the bits, the convenience and service.

Supports the local economy too.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2015, 11:48 PM

Ok slow PC? change the hard drive to an SSD drive to start with (Solid State Drive). You may need an external hard drive to save your data on beforehand.

My start up and shut down times are about 7 seconds give or take.

I also have a second internal hard drive as a backup for my photos
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2015, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Whatever I decide to get I shall wait until the end of this month, as a new version of windows is coming out. I think they said it was 10. Will check.
Yes it is 10 available 29th.

I haven't heard of anyone who likes Windows 8, but when I asked my computer man about Windows 10, he advised to wait for 12 months to let any the teething problems get sorted first. Made sense to me.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 12:06 AM

I miss my old Me pc! It was easier to understand and compatible with my favourite programme.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Ok slow PC? change the hard drive to an SSD drive to start with (Solid State Drive). You may need an external hard drive to save your data on beforehand.

My start up and shut down times are about 7 seconds give or take.

I also have a second internal hard drive as a backup for my photos
I have the same. It seems to be a fairly popular arrangement for those who use SSDs in a Desktop computer. My boot speed is about 12 seconds. Fast enough I suppose. Skype adds some seconds to that but I prefer to let it load at start-up even so.

Changing the HDD to an SSD would speed up almost any computer. Not too expensive these days either. I'm sure it would have speeded up my 4 year old computer but well, I just fancied getting a new one. New computers have later processors, usually more RAM and other advancements, so there is perhaps that aspect to buying a whole new box.

I've since formatted everything away on my old computer and use it to run Linux and more recently, the Windows 10 Previews. So Emjay, if or when you get a new computer, you could use the old one for giving a bit of extra computer interest ..if you're into that kind of thing. I find I can do this and still find plenty of time for cycling.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I haven't heard of anyone who likes Windows 8, ...
There's always one and I am that person. A much criticized OS but I've always got on OK with it. It has been generally trouble-free for me and the tiled Start Screen hasn't upset me at all. I will be upgrading to W.10 straightaway because I want to run the latest OS but will be a little sorry to leave W.8.1 behind.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
There's always one and I am that person. A much criticized OS but I've always got on OK with it. It has been generally trouble-free for me and the tiled Start Screen hasn't upset me at all. .
... I haven't had a problem with W8, it took me a day or so to get used to it and it has been fine .
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 08:45 AM

Thanks for all the advice that has been given. I know all about Macs as my neighbour is Mac mad. It was he who convinced me that I needed an iPad.
History: My first computer was a Spektrum, followed by a BBC, then a Commodore, followed by home built Dos and early windows machines. Later I decided it was just as cheap to buy ready to use than build. I still have a Dell Inspiron laptop, with docking station (not used now) that cost me many years ago £900 refurbished.
I have nearly decided that I shall go for another laptop. The Asus X555 LA is at present top of my list.
With the plug in hard drive docking device that I have ordered, I am hoping that I can access my other hard drives, just sort out the stuff I need to put onto just one extra drive.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 08:46 AM

I started with windows 95 and now use windows 7. I have windows 8 on a hand held pad and it is terrible. First you have to sign in every time and finding ones way around it you have to be a genius. It is about the worst computer system onthe market
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 08:50 AM

W10 will be free for 12 months. Microsoft could then start charging for new installations after that.

As for what to buy...you could be like me and have the whole lot!! Each model has its own use. I browse during the day on this iPad but it doesn't support Flash. Then I have my laptop, desktop, netbook that sometimes comes away on holidays with me, my tablet - bought some months ago, and also my brand new all in one touch screen pc, which I've had very recently.

I couldn't be without either piece of equipment.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

23-07-2015, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
With the plug in hard drive docking device that I have ordered, I am hoping that I can access my other hard drives, just sort out the stuff I need to put onto just one extra drive.
That looks a good device. Is it USB 3.0?

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top