Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2010, 04:54 PM

The power of zero

In computing and maths remember the number zero, . . I booted up my standby PC today and it wouldn't start, . . went into the bios to check the boot up sequence and there it was, . . boot up from HD 1, . . it should've been HD 0 . . bios settings are set up so you can have multiple hard drives, some sequences can be changed from the keyboard when you switch on so if you cant get it up just check the start up sequence.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2010, 05:19 PM

Re: The power of zero

Pardon?
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2010, 05:47 PM

OMG-the power of binary-I remember `booting` computers by switching loads of switches.

This thing the size of cabin chest woke up and I fed it discs the size of a pizza box.

And all to do some stats a throw away calculator can do today
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2010, 09:47 PM

I really didn't understand a word of that, but glad the computer's OK now.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2010, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I really didn't understand a word of that, but glad the computer's OK now.
Let me explain DM, . . a PC may have 3 hard drives, or even more, . . in computer language these are numbered 0 - 3 only one is the boot up or start up drive, the other two are slaves, . . if the bios settings are not set to give the master drive precedence over the other two you get that black horrible screen with the little cursor winking at you telling you you're stupid, . . the master drive is always the lowest number which is zero.

On each drive there's a small connector bridging some pins, this is called a jumper, if it's enabled it makes that drive master over the others, the bios chip on the mother board detects this and boots the PC up.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2010, 11:39 PM

Erm, thanks, but you overestimate my computer knowledge. I have a Mac, and all I know is that it usually works fine and that if it doesn't, I reboot it or scream for help from a knowledgeable friend!
nero
Central Scotland

11-03-2010, 11:42 PM

Erm, thanks, but you overestimate my computer knowledge. I have a Mac, and all I know is that it usually works fine and that if it doesn't, I reboot it or scream for help from a knowledgeable friend!
Or bounce it off the nearest wall DM.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

12-03-2010, 12:45 AM

It's a desktop, Nero, far too heavy for me to pick up, much less throw it
nero
Central Scotland

12-03-2010, 12:50 AM

It's a desktop, Nero, far too heavy for me to pick up, much less throw it
We must be a minority then DM, . . most use a lappy, . . I don't like them at all, they make good frisbees though.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

12-03-2010, 04:01 AM

I'd like a laptop, but the Macs are soooo pricy! But I'm tempted, I only have OSX 10.2.8 on mine and cannot upload the new Firefox or some other apps I'd like ....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top