Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2015, 11:11 PM

Re: 41 Dogs in a 3 bedroom semi

All I can imagine is the smell, the dogs fighting, the price to feed them all and the poor neighbours!!
I will have a look on Catch Up for this programme.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2015, 11:19 PM

What Chanel was this on. As a breeder of Border Collies this type of breeding disgusts me. I have only ever bred when I have wanted a new puppy. If she is making money from breeding then she will have to be licenced by her local council.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2015, 06:09 AM

Back yard breeders at their worst. No checks on health or genetics.
No care or proper screening of the pups or I bet the new owners.

Any decent new owner would have walked away and called the authorities but most people would feel sorry for a pup in that awful situation and buy it thinking they had 'rescued' it.
In truth all they have done is feed the breeders greed and condemn the mother to yet more litters..
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2015, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Celyn ->
What Chanel was this on. As a breeder of Border Collies this type of breeding disgusts me. I have only ever bred when I have wanted a new puppy. If she is making money from breeding then she will have to be licenced by her local council.

It was on CH5 . It was absolutely disgusting and I don't think she's done herself any favours by being filmed . She may well be investigated by the council and the taxman now and rightly so .
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2015, 10:29 AM

Thanks. I spend hundreds on health checks before breeding. Apart from hips, eyes, hearing etc. I also have DNA genetic tests which go to the States. I cover all possibilities for my breed. Probably why I have had potentially puppy purchasers waiting three years for one of my puppies. Unfortunately how ever hard you try there is this other element the disreputable breeder which Joe Public, despite extensive media coverage, still flock to. Having been involved in the industry the horror stories that I can relate are appalling . Only last week I met someone with a new puppy. I asked where they got it. They had just fed a few words into Google, up came this litter and of they went to pick up puppy. Apart from health checks I always interview potential owners BEFORE pups are born. Let them see dam and get her opinion of them see how the people react to a Border Collie. It's amazing who comes out of the woodwork to buy a puppy. Fortunately most of mine have gone to people who have had pups from me previously. These pups are my babies and I keep in touch for life, and will also take them back if their circumstances change.
FPF
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2015, 11:43 AM

You are the sort of breeder I would go to after extensive research .
I would expect them to interview me to see if I am suitable . Just as I am assessing them to see if they are suitable .
It's amazing that some people put more thought into a holiday or a new car or washing machine than a dog they will be likely to have for 15 years plus .
The thing is too that good breeders who do all the health checks etc generally are charging no more or sometimes even less than the people breeding for the sole purpose of making money .
Celyn
Hampshire

15-10-2015, 04:05 PM

That's what makes me cross is that the fashion for first crosses is not regulated. Therefore a lot of make money quickly back yard breeders have jumped on the bandwagon. If the parents have not been health checked for specific diseases for their breed, walk away. You may be buying a puppy that has genetic health issues from both sides of the cross. A puppy is more than a visual delight. I used to be an advisor for Dogs Today magazine, for many years. It would make my toes curl some of the criteria that would lead a family towards a certain breed of dog. No thought what that breed was originally bred for. I used to advise people to go to Discover Dogs or to Crufts to look at the breed exhibition where you can talk to the breed societies about their breed, and meet their breed. Like Jazzi, it is so good to research first. I also put temperament high on the list, there is no point having a healthy dog who is a nightmare to live with.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2015, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Celyn ->
Thanks. I spend hundreds on health checks before breeding. Apart from hips, eyes, hearing etc. I also have DNA genetic tests which go to the States. I cover all possibilities for my breed. Probably why I have had potentially puppy purchasers waiting three years for one of my puppies. Unfortunately how ever hard you try there is this other element the disreputable breeder which Joe Public, despite extensive media coverage, still flock to. Having been involved in the industry the horror stories that I can relate are appalling . Only last week I met someone with a new puppy. I asked where they got it. They had just fed a few words into Google, up came this litter and of they went to pick up puppy. Apart from health checks I always interview potential owners BEFORE pups are born. Let them see dam and get her opinion of them see how the people react to a Border Collie. It's amazing who comes out of the woodwork to buy a puppy. Fortunately most of mine have gone to people who have had pups from me previously. These pups are my babies and I keep in touch for life, and will also take them back if their circumstances change.
FPF
Its breeders like yourself who suffer both in reputation and costs because of BYB the uneducated think you are making tons because they can buy a pup from the internet at half the price...Little knowing what they pay for and what they get might well be two different things..

My daughter worked in a shop with exotics (reptiles) but one woman came in and was telling about her chinese crested dog which was pregnant only she wasnt sure if the sire was her other chinese crested or her yorkie..
Her solution was simple, any hairy pups would get shaved beore the buyers arrived !
(yes they did report her but were told nothing could be done)
Celyn
Hampshire

15-10-2015, 10:09 PM

She probably found out, once they were born, that they looked entirely different to a Chinese Crested, if a Yorkie was the father. Just shows the womans ignorance.

I know one little old lady, who came to my training classes, who bought what she thought was a youngish Sheltie. It grew and grew and grew. Into a Rough Collie (Lassie) It was almost as big as her!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top