Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 07:05 PM

Re: Microsoft reveals details of Windows 10 usage tracking

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35251484

It is possible to increase the privacy controls in Windows 10 by setting the feedback option to Basic, so that activity data is not sent to Microsoft - bar error reports.

However, Prof Woodward suggested that users of the new OS may not be fully aware of the range of options and what they do.

"I've noticed it because I've been installing it a lot recently. The default is for them to track a whole lot of things about usage and send details back to Microsoft," he said.
There are several web pages dedicated to exposing Windows 10 privacy concerns and how to deal with them, for example:

How to reclaim your privacy in Windows 10, piece by piece

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29717...-by-piece.html
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 07:12 PM

Ditch Windows and switch to Linux. It doesn't have Microsoft's spyware or any of the issues Windows has.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Im using Windows 7 does that mean they can track me ?
If you disable JavaScript then you stop lots of companies tracking you esp Facebook. You won't get all the popup ads, or the pop up "you must agree to cookies" messages and websites will run much faster.

The downside is you will lose some functionality on some websites.

You're right to stick with Windows 7 as long as you can imo.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35251484

There are several web pages dedicated to exposing Windows 10 privacy concerns and how to deal with them, for example:

How to reclaim your privacy in Windows 10, piece by piece

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29717...-by-piece.html
Thank you for the information and links Omah. I have W10 and think I will work through the information you provided and get rid of some of the intrusive stuff - I dislike Cortana and that will be one of the first things I turn off.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 09:32 PM

I've just got a new laptop, running W10 of course, and I have no problems with adverts as I use AdBlock in my browser. I don't use Edge or Windows' own mail programme either.
I'm not really concerned about Microsoft spying on me as, like Malcolm said earlier, I've nothing to hide! Simple really: don't post anything online, or even on your computer, that you don't want others to know about!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 10:35 PM

Im using Windows 7 does that mean they can track me ?
It looks that way:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...ft-spy-you.htm
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I've just got a new laptop, running W10 of course, and I have no problems with adverts as I use AdBlock in my browser. I don't use Edge or Windows' own mail programme either.
Regardless of programs used, it's the actual OS that does the feedback in the background.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...cs-privacy-faq
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 11:23 PM

Oh, I realise that but, as I said, I have nothing to hide and if Microsoft want to look at what I post or what I do it's no skin off my nose.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 11:37 PM

Me too ..im glad to hear that it will be ok until 2020
me too, I'm not budging!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

07-01-2016, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
If you disable JavaScript then you stop lots of companies tracking you esp Facebook. You won't get all the popup ads, or the pop up "you must agree to cookies" messages and websites will run much faster.
All true but there are disadvantages to disabling JavaScript. It can mean that some legitimate or wanted content won't be displayed on some sites. It won't be known what that content is because JavaScript is disabled, which prevents its display. Might be a menu or other useful content that doesn't show.

I'm sure it won't make a difference a lot of the time but may do sometimes.

It was for this reason I stopped blocking JavaScript and took a different approach. This was to let JavaScript run but sandbox the browser. This way, I see the site as the site designer intended. If there is anything nasty on the site, it would be very unlikely that it would get out of the sandbox. Ad-blocking (using u-Block) takes care of ads in or out of the sandbox.

The adoption of sandboxing was years ago when there were some instances of JavaScript performing some nasty deeds but I'm fairly sure the risk is a lot lower in recent years. However, sandboxing is a habit now and whether threats come via JavaScript or some drive-by malware method, the sandbox will contain them.

As always, lots of articles have been written about all computer topics and linking to one saves an awful lot of writing:

http://www.howtogeek.com/138865/htg-...le-javascript/

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top