Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 12:13 AM

Re: Microsoft reveals details of Windows 10 usage tracking

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Me too ..im glad to hear that it will be ok until 2020
I've upgraded to W.10 but Mrs mart is still using Windows 7 on her Desktop computer. Windows 10 works well but I'm increasingly using Linux Mint these days. Mrs mart thinks she might eventually use this rather than a MS Windows OS. It does most things a home user needs and is much better than it was years ago.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
It looks that way:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...ft-spy-you.htm
Thanks for that link - I was aware that MS was monitoring W7/8 hadn't read anything about it .....

Although one body of opinion feels that the type of data monitoring that is occurring is standard operating procedure on the Internet nowadays and is something to be lived with, others feel quite the opposite.
Frankly, I don't want to spend what remains of my life forever chasing after hardware/software that doesn't monitor me .....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 04:15 AM

I don't know what the problem is:

Settings > Privacy > Feedback & diagnostics

Set Feedback to "Never" and diagnostics to "Basic"

Job done.

While you are in Privacy you can turn just about everything else off too.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

Job done.

I did this a while back, and was rather shocked at how many things were set to 'on'!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

Job done.

I agree there isn't a problem, other than the defaults all being set to give feedback. Most people don't belong to forums where the topic gets aired, nor think about it at all providing the computer does what is wanted. The result being that the defaults don't get changed and Microsoft will get plenty of information from the vast majority of Windows users.

By discussing the 'problem' (or non-problem), members and passers-by get informed and can either care or not. Change the defaults or not.

Purely as an interest, I read a bit about computer security and products to try and gain a balanced view of the state of play. One snippet of information I have come across is that, even with all privacy settings changed, Windows 10 still sends feedback about usage. If that is so, does it matter?

There are utilities around that will go through the W.10 privacy settings and change them in one go. Ever the experimenter, I have tried one. It stopped the Windows 10 e-mail app from working because it turned off the Windows 10 calendar. The e-mail app needs the calendar app running in order to work properly. It also stopped Windows Update from working.

Just a bit of information based on experience for those who might want to use a utility to alter W.10's privacy settings.

Edit: For Information, an article about the Windows 10 data gathering that cannot be opted out of:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...s-10-tracking/
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

08-01-2016, 10:57 AM

I hope a link to another technical forum is OK. The one below leads to the Windows 10 forum. It highlights an article that dispels the Windows 10 privacy concerns listed in the original post. Seems that even those who's job it is to analyse operating systems in detail can't agree:

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-...s-missing.html
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 11:05 AM

I think some folks are getting to be paranoid about Windows especially Windows 10
When you consider the countless millions if not billions of Windows users, what makes these folks believe that they are going to be singled out for investigation into their on-line activities or preferences ?......or am I missing something here ?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 11:28 AM

In the bigger scheme of things, does individual PC privacy matter .....

How US and UK spy agencies defeat internet privacy and security

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...codes-security

US and British intelligence agencies have successfully cracked much of the online encryption relied upon by hundreds of millions of people to protect the privacy of their personal data, online transactions and emails, according to top-secret documents revealed by former contractor Edward Snowden.

The files show that the National Security Agency and its UK counterpart GCHQ have broadly compromised the guarantees that internet companies have given consumers to reassure them that their communications, online banking and medical records would be indecipherable to criminals or governments.

The agencies, the documents reveal, have adopted a battery of methods in their systematic and ongoing assault on what they see as one of the biggest threats to their ability to access huge swathes of internet traffic – "the use of ubiquitous encryption across the internet".

Those methods include covert measures to ensure NSA control over setting of international encryption standards, the use of supercomputers to break encryption with "brute force", and – the most closely guarded secret of all – collaboration with technology companies and internet service providers themselves.

Through these covert partnerships, the agencies have inserted secret vulnerabilities – known as backdoors or trapdoors – into commercial encryption software.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

08-01-2016, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I think some folks are getting to be paranoid about Windows especially Windows 10
When you consider the countless millions if not billions of Windows users, what makes these folks believe that they are going to be singled out for investigation into their on-line activities or preferences ?......or am I missing something here ?
I don't think it's being investigated that the pro-privacy camp is worried about Malcolm. It's more that they consider the computer their own property and they alone should be able to control what goes in or out of it. People seem to think it's the principle of the thing. It doesn't matter to them whether or not it has a detrimental effect on Internet usage or life in general.

I believe the argument is partly that the default should be to opt in to data collection, rather than it being to opt out. I think Microsoft will be relying on the fact that most won't opt out.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
me too, I'm not budging!
I agree. There is nothing wrong with Windows 7, but all new laptops now come with Windows 10 or the appalling Windows 8.

Windows has an interesting pedigree:

XP = good
Vista = crap - in fact the worst of them all
7 = good
8 = another mistake
10= good, but still an attempt at compromise between computers and tablets/smartphones

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top