Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2010, 04:44 PM

Kindle?

Does anyone have one? I've been doing some reading and find it comes with built-in wireless (no fee) and the signal is available in my area. It also has limited Internet connection. I'm interested, if anyone has any experience of it, would love your comments.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2010, 05:08 PM

Re: Kindle?

I've never used one but hear they are good e-book readers, especially in bright daylight. If you're reading indoors tho, or not in direct sunlight - how about an iPad?

Or, kill two birds with one stone and get a Mac notebook? (That's what I would do as it's a full computer, and for you, could replace your Mac which is getting on a bit now?).
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2010, 08:44 PM

Azz, I would need wireless to get the notebook or iPad. I'm uneasy about that as it sounds awfully complicated; don't you need a router (whatever that is) installed? A friend of mine went wireless when he finally got a computer (typical guy, had to have the latest fanciest toy ) and he's had lots of problems with it.... Does a router have to be plugged into the mains? I live in an older house with not enough outlets; unless it could be the one the computer's plugged into now for my dial-up?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2010, 10:06 PM

Can you get broadband there DM? They usually give you a free wireless router (they are easy enough to set-up, most are just plug and play but you could always ask us lot if you get stuck).
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

31-05-2010, 10:16 PM

I think broadband is available here. I suppose I should call Earthlink to see what they offer. But if my dial-up is disconnected, I would have no way to contact you if I couldn't get the broadband to work!!

Does this sound like deja vu all over again as when you had to talk me into switching to Firefox and I was nervous and full of utterly dumb questions?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

31-05-2010, 11:05 PM

This no such thing as a dumb question

Your dial up should be fine - just tell them you don't want the dial-up disconnected until after a month of the broadband starting up. That way you have it as a back up.

Broadband should be much cheaper than dial-up too

Go on give them a ring... go for it! Plenty of us will help you out if you get stuck - if it makes you feel better I will give you my number so you can call me if it all goes to pot (and I'll try to help sort it out)
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2010, 11:24 PM

There's an offer you can't refuse, Eileen!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

31-05-2010, 11:42 PM

You can have both broadband and dial-up on the same computer at the same time ? Oh, thank you Azz, I do appreciate that very very much. I'll give Earthlink a call tomorrow. Thanks for putting up with me; I'm so happy at being on your forums; the support and patience is just wonderful.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2010, 10:47 AM

Your provider should be able to talk you through set up over the phone. Electrical outlets are a problem in this day and age - never enough of the things. Once you get broadband up and running, you will wonder how you ever managed without. Good luck
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

01-06-2010, 12:02 PM

Let us know how you get on Eileen and I totally agree with PPH - once you get it you will wonder how you managed without it. I could never go back to dial-up now

I'm sure Mags will help you get to grips with your new macbook too (if you get one) now she's a mac pro with all this Apple kit

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top