Join for free
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2010, 06:49 AM

A new version of Sandboxie

Sandboxie 3.46 has been released.

Download Sandboxie

Sandboxie Version Changes

What is Sandboxie and how does it protect? Read here.

Sandboxie is a security program recommended by many security-minded people. Although it has quite a number of users (including me), it isn't as widely used as more conventional security measures, such as using AV and spyware detecting programs.

Sandboxie doesn't rely on detection as other programs do but purely doesn't trust anything. It works by isolating files and browsing sessions inside a protected area called a sandbox. Almost any program can be run sandboxed. Think of the sandbox as a place with high walls that keeps a sandboxed program inside and the computer system outside. Nothing can jump over the walls of the sandbox. This means any malware a program might contain cannot get out to infect the system.

If the browser is run sandboxed, then a browsing session becomes much safer. Some innocent-looking web pages can contain malware these days. If one is visited, there is a danger the computer can become infected. If that malware is a relatively new arrival on the Internet, an AV or antispyware programs may not know about it yet and so will not be able to detect and protect.

That doesn't matter to Sandboxie since nothing can get out of the sandbox to infect or make changes to the system. If there is malware present in the sandbox (it may or may not have made its presence known), it will be gone without trace when the sandbox is emptied. No lengthy cleaning up after picking up malware.

File attachments can be opened inside the sandbox. So any possibly infected ones cannot infect the system.

Programs can be installed sandboxed. Good for programs you might want to try but are not sure you want to keep, or for if the program isn't initially trusted. No un-installation necessary if the program turns out to be un-wanted. Just empty the sandbox and the program is gone.

Sandboxie is a good layer of security.

Edit: typos
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2010, 10:28 AM

Re: A new version of Sandboxie

When I had a PC I used to use www.comodo.com for a free anti-virus and firewall - have you used that Mart? Think Sandboxie is better?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2010, 11:14 AM

It doesn't really compare to any anti-virus or firewall program Azz. It has a very different approach to keeping you safe. It could be said that you won't need an anti-virus or anti-spyware program unless Sandboxie lets you down (i.e. malware gets out of the sandbox).

That has never happened that I know of but even Sandboxie's developer recommends that an AV program and other security software is used as well ..just in case it does.

I used Comodo once but found the alerts too annoying. I use Norton now. Many in security circles hate Norton but I find it good and as said, it may not be called on to do its job because Sandboxie is there as the fist line of defence. Sandboxie keeps invasive malware off the system so that ideally, there will be nothing for an anti-virus program to detect.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2010, 11:16 AM

I'm glad I switched to Mac - I don't worry about viruses any more
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

06-07-2010, 03:32 PM

Using only a couple of protection programs that more or less look after themselves, neither do I.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2010, 04:45 PM

I agree with Azz ...with the Mac, don't worry.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

06-07-2010, 05:43 PM

http://www.computing.co.uk/computing...e-myth-reality (needs reading from start to finish).

Such articles perhaps shouldn't be thought of as being purely scare-mongering that are only designed to make Mac users feel less complacent.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top