Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 05:04 PM

Re: I just updated my anti-virus sw, and now....

I'm using Adguard and can't see any ads.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
It's quite possible that the Russian Dating site, which I think we can all see on this forum, might be paying the forum to place his ads here?
I think the ads that appear here are not the choice of the site owner (Azz) but the result of allowing ads in general to appear. For instance, if Google ads are shown here to help pay for site costs, then it's Google that controls which ads are shown. Allowing ads is a way of helping with site running costs as far as I know.

The trouble is that ads have been known to carry malware so, although we might like to allow ads to be seen in order to help site finances, many feel it can be a bit risky and therefore block them one way or another.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/01/08/...-that-malware/

Maybe the advertising industry should carry out a campaign that assures those of us who block ads that it is safe to allow them to show. I'm not so sure it is at present.

If asked to disable my ad-blocker in order to view a site, I won't do so. I've got a 'Disable JavaScript' extension instead and I use that. Then the site displays OK. Sorry to those sites for not letting ads show but I feel it's the safer option.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I think the ads that appear here are not the choice of the site owner (Azz) but the result of allowing ads in general to appear. For instance, if Google ads are shown here to help pay for site costs, then it's Google that controls which ads are shown. Allowing ads is a way of helping with site running costs as far as I know.

The trouble is that ads have been known to carry malware so, although we might like to allow ads to be seen in order to help site finances, many feel it can be a bit risky and therefore block them one way or another.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/01/08/...-that-malware/

Maybe the advertising industry should carry out a campaign that assures those of us who block ads that it is safe to allow them to show. I'm not so sure it is at present.

If asked to disable my ad-blocker in order to view a site, I won't do so. I've got a 'Disable JavaScript' extension instead and I use that. Then the site displays OK. Sorry to those sites for not letting ads show but I feel it's the safer option.
If you read the Forum Privacy Statement (page bottom) this is what it says:-

Third Party Advertising
We use various third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our Web site. These companies may use information about your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements on this site and other sites about goods and services that may be of interest to you. This is all non-identifying and aggregate information and does NOT include personally-identifiable information such as your name or address. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by some of these companies, please click here
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
No, the Russian girls are always on top.
OK, well I'd be perfectly happy with that.
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

03-03-2017, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yup, I get the same Jimmy. Not much use to me!
Me neither, Mups. Too far to travel...

And I don't think RasPutin would let me in the country anyway.
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

03-03-2017, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Haven't had any Anti-virus software on any of my computers for the last five years since I kept getting pestered by Norton every five minutes. Amazing how fast my computers run without it.......bkdiejvcn amgkds amvkb akdkfkg :01 7:...Whoops Sorry...
Hahaha!!!

Yes, I've often wondered if the whole "virus protection" thing is just a racket.
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

03-03-2017, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I don't use any third-party AV software, only Windows Defender (and Malwarebytes).

I would recommend that you try 'AdBlock' and 'AdBlock Plus'. These are free and prevent most adverts appearing on web sites.

However, if you prefer, you can allow through specific adverts...
such as naked Russian girls.
Yeah, I've got Malwarebytes. Every time I run a scan with it, it finds absolutely nothing. That either means it's stopping malware before it gets in, or it can't find malware anyway. It does have a good rep, though, so it's probably alright.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 10:15 PM

In addition to an Ad blocker, I also use Ghostery which blocks `trackers` - hidden links to other websites. Google analytics is one such tracker. Information from the website you are viewing is sent to Google analytic so they can target adverts based on your browsing history.
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

03-03-2017, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
When i had a problem with my computer and got it fixed at the shop it came back with the Russian date site on?
That doesn't surprise me, Sue. It's as if computers are like having your very own shop counter at home. Everything's for sale, even stuff you'd never buy from a shop.
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

03-03-2017, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
It's quite possible that the Russian Dating site, which I think we can all see on this forum, might be paying the forum to place his ads here?
Up until I updated my AV, and ever since I've been a member here, I had never seen any ads whatsoever! Except the little "dogsy" and "catsy" ads on the right.

So it must be something to do with the AV.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top