Join for free
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 05:18 PM

Firefox

Just had a message saying Firefox will no longer support Windows Vista, not sre what the implications may be.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 05:35 PM

Re: Firefox

Just scare tactics. When a manufacturer no longer supports something it just means:

1. If you phone their helpline with a problem in that area they won't help and

2. If the O/S (here it's Vista) changes in any way, Firefox won't be developing any updates to make it work with that new O/S and

3. Firefox will continue changing which may result in it no longer actually working with Vista in the future

If you like using a particular piece of software that works with your current O/S then I advise you NOT to update it and disable any auto update feature/facility. I do this as par for the course with EVERY piece of software on my laptop including the O/S.

If updates are availble it will be ME that decides if I want or need them and ME that decides whethr to download and install them.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 05:39 PM

Cheers,i do like it because ive used it for years, not keen on Chrome, or Bing, but i will probably have no choice in the log run.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 11:35 PM

Preventing updates ought to keep things going but if you find Firefox does stop working sometime in the future, there are a couple of browsers based on Firefox that would probably still work. These are 'Pale Moon' and 'Waterfox'. I'm not sure they have Firefox's latest and fastest Quantum engine but that might not be too noticeable so long as they keep working on Vista.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

06-09-2018, 10:09 AM

Thanks Mart, im going to have to by a new computer shortly, was hoping Windows would bring out a new version before i bought one, bt i will check out those links.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 10:52 AM

A lot of people use the 'not so well-known' browsers by choice Nom and they are mostly very good. I've tried many of them personally out of interest but am using Firefox at present.

If you are thinking in terms of a new computer, there's no need to do much to your current set-up (providing it keeps working) since it could be nearing the end of its life anyway.

A newer computer will run the latest version Firefox with no problem of course, so you could just install that on the new system when the time comes.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top