Join for free
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 09:29 PM

Secret Agent Selection: WW2 On BBC2

I am only watching this series as my daughter downloads it and watches it each evening.

Fourteen ‘students’ have been trained up as secret agents, similar to those people trained as secret agents in WW2.
They wear the same type of uniforms and have the same hairstyles of that time.
They are sent on missions and are eliminated if they are not up to the task.

I was unsure of it at first but now l am enjoying it.... but not when they had to hide explosives in a dead rat’s stomach!

The last of the series is on next Tuesday on BBC2 at 9pm.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 11:29 PM

Re: Secret Agent Selection: WW2 On BBC2

Yes, I've been watching that series.

It is a very interesting insight into how things were in the special forces in those days. Unlike the SAS and LRDG, for example, the special forces featured were, apparently, not so much fighting units but more like what we know as spies and saboteurs.

The only thing that somehow grates a little with me is that the Colonel in charge seems to wear his side cap bang in the middle of his head. I've only ever seen them worn, as the name suggests, tipped to the right side of the head.

Are these people in charge on the programme genuine ex-special forces personnel?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 11:32 PM

Sounds interesting Art will look for it on catch up.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 11:50 PM

I've been watching it and, although the production is ridden with errors, I have really enjoyed it because the "contenders" are "real" people as opposed to the usual reality show "contestants" .....

The Guardian agreed :

Gay men, who had spent a lifetime dissembling, were found particularly useful for the SOE, and it was remembered (most probably by a man, of course: give that man a medal) that women could possess remarkable combinations of brains, bravery and pain thresholds, bless ’em. Ethnic minorities; the wounded/disabled; the SOE party was thrown open to all, like New Labour with cordite and switchblades.

This and more we saw in Secret Agent Selection, a wholly new and surprisingly successful exercise that came, naturally, in the guise of a “reality” show, in which 14 modern Joes and Janes were put through a fierce-enough recreation of the training plan for the SOE.

There are, already, the heroes and the villains – frenziedly posh Dan with his entitlement and his bum-fluff little ’tache; plucky, tiny Lizzie, scaling the 10ft wall with an upper-body strength denied to most of the males – and a few daftnesses but, in general, it was just such a relief to have 14 reasonably competent, cogent, more-or-less sane souls on a reality show. Psychologically bombproof, as the SOE would have demanded, and who weren’t likely to strop off in tears at the drop of a harsh word, or preen, or laze in the sun for three days picking grossly at their feet while looking to take niggling offence, and yes I’m looking at you The Island With Bear Grylls.

Some of the things that should have irritated me but didn't:
  • Most of the trainers seemed to be wearing wigs
  • Most the lady trainees had '40's styled hair which refused to stay in place
  • The male trainees, on the whole, were very tall, the females quite small

http://images.radiotimes.com/remote/...700&height=422

Many of the training "scenarios" were genuinely dangerous but none more so than scaling the three offset cliff ladders - it was raining so the vertical iron ladders were wet making it almost impossible to retain a footing in sodden leather army boots - it was hard for the overweight men and the one with a prosthetic leg and even harder for featherweight ladies who could barely reach the rungs.

I've watched better made, more accurate "reality"recreations of wartime occupations but few that made me identify with the "characters" so much as this series .....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top