Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 12:58 PM

Re: Going Retro with Windows

Aargh! Disaster! I’ve mislaid my XP pro installation disc! Will have to install XP Home, then upgrade to pro when (and if) I ever find it.🙀
Andwar
Bristol, UK.
Andwar is male  Andwar has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by FridgeMagnet ->
With me, it was a Sinclair ZX81 (1k of memory) followed by a Commodore 64 and then eventually the Amiga.
I started on the Sinclair ZX81 as well, then went onto ZX Spectrum then the Commodore Amiga. I used PC's at work starting with Windows 3.1. In them days I preferred my Amiga. I thought it was a better system than Windows back then.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 09:57 AM

I still have windows XP home and W7 professional discs. I did find W7 a lot better than W10 which is all over the place but now can't be bothered to go though changing it all back to W7.

At least having built the computer to my spec does allow easy component updates even though I am no compute expert by any means.

By building ones own does allow better components to be used than pre built shop ones you get in the high street.
So far I have added/ changed to quite case fans- more RAM- silent cd/dvd drive-graphics card -USB 3 ports ( old fell apart on case top).
To get a shop to do this would have been expensive.

One thing I do keep an eye on is dust accumulation inside the computer and on the input fans, even though the desktop is on the desk it is amazing how much dust it picks up
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 04:32 PM

I never had or wanted a mini disc recorder...it seemed to be a doomed product from the start.
FridgeMagnet
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I never had or wanted a mini disc recorder...it seemed to be a doomed product from the start.
Easier to carry around than a CD player. I even saw a Renault car once that had a dash radio/minidisc player instead of the usual CD player.
FridgeMagnet

23-08-2018, 07:30 AM

I’m currently having the most frustrating time trying to remove Windows 10 from my PC drive! I have a sata/usb lead that I normally just connect to any hard drive, then plug into another pc or laptop to re-format it. But Windows 10 must have some form of built in self preservation because when I connect it to a computer, it won’t even acknowledge that it’s there! I have followed countless procedures described on Google. But none of them seem to work!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 04:23 PM

Apart from the mentioned lead, what other methods of formatting have been tried? I've read of people using DBAN or a Linux Live CD for the job but haven't tried these ways myself. Maybe one of the methods would work for you.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-eras...g-dban-2619148

http://www.techieinspire.com/complet...ntu-live-disk/

How old is the Desktop computer and does the motherboard use BIOS or UEFI? Not sure of this but if it's UEFI, maybe Secure Boot needs disabling to allow W.10 to be formatted out. Worth looking into. If the computer has newish hardware, another problem further down the line could be that it won't work with XP or vice versa ..not without more problems anyway. Getting and older computer to go with the older OS might be the way to go.

Aside from that perhaps putting a spanner in the works, it's a long time since I installed XP but doesn't the installation procedure have a 'format before proceeding' option? If it does, you could try that. That would be the simplest way of formatting if the function is available.

I have installed/reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch many times using Microsoft's downloadable Media Creation Tool and know that, before the installation takes place, there are advanced options to delete or format partitions before continuing (I delete all C: drive partitions). You could get to that stage, not go any further and turn the computer off. Remove the Media Creation Tool USB stick, boot up from the XP installation disc and then proceed to try and install the OS. I think going to XP might be a rocky path whatever is tried though.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

If everything depends on hardware being suitable and the whole operation fails because it isn't (or for some other reason) the latest version of Windows 10 can be reinstalled using the Media Creation Tool. No key is necessary. Some further updates may still want to install though.

If there is more than one physical drive in the computer, best unplug it to avoid formatting the wrong one. It happened to me.
FridgeMagnet

23-08-2018, 07:23 PM

It’s only been around for about 18 months and I feel sure that I’ve seen UEFI mentioned somewhere. I shall attempt the disabling of secure boot, if I can find the right path!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 07:38 PM

I have kept my Me pc out since my house move. I loved it and especially Microsoft Picture it Print Studio. I don' t know if any of it will still work or how I will transfer anything onto my Windows 10 (bleh) laptop but I'll have to try.
It was so much more straight forward than Photoshop which I find too technical.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2018, 07:47 PM

I think having Secure Boot enabled would stop XP installing even if it's not the reason for the formatting problem. I say this because I have a laptop computer that can be dual-booted between Windows and Linux.

Making the change from Windows 10 only being on the hard drive to having both Windows and Linux operating systems installed couldn't be made without disabling Secure Boot.

About Secure Boot

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top