Join for free
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 08:18 AM

What is "OD off"?

A light appeared on my dashboard it says "OD OFF" , I think it means overdrive and it happened before I seem to remember, I can turn it off (or rather on) on my stick thingy (automatic).
My question is this, is it better off or on?
It feels more wibbly like the steering is lighter with it off.
I'm being lazy by not finding my manual or surfing the net but I know you folk are very clever do I'm asking you first.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 08:23 AM

Re: What is "OD off"?

Removed as I misunderstood the question
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 08:30 AM

Basically, overdrive is for distance driving when you're likely to be travelling at speed, overdrive helps the engine perform more efficiently.

For town driving and pootling about the overdrive should be off as everytime you go over about 40mph (or wherever your overdrive is set to kick in) your car will try to engage it, but constantly engaging and unengaging it will lead to unnecessary engine/transmission wear.

So, overdrive off for town driving and on for distance/higher speed/motorway driving.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 08:35 AM

The overdrive is the highest gear of your automatic transmission and should be left on under normal driving conditions so that the gearbox can engage the gear when it needs it.

If you turn the overdrive off then the gearbox cannot use the highest gear, which is sometimes useful when towing or when driving steep hills as it makes the engine rev higher to give more power but at a lower speed.

Hope this helps.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 09:07 AM

I drive a lot in country lanes and through villages, never in towns or motorways and rarely over 50mph as by the time I get up speed it changes to 30 through a village.
Does that mean "OD off" is best, just checking?
I have a Yaris 1.3 never tow anything.
Thanks chaps x
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I drive a lot in country lanes and through villages, never in towns or motorways and rarely over 50mph as by the time I get up speed it changes to 30 through a village.
Does that mean "OD off" is best, just checking?
I have a Yaris 1.3 never tow anything.
Thanks chaps x
Personally Tess I drive automatics and have done for years, and unless I am towing I never have the O/D off, as the gearbox is engineered and configured to always put you in the right gear at the right time whatever the driving conditions. Just a personal view of course....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

26-08-2018, 01:00 PM

Thanks Barry, I think I'll put it on then x

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top